"Jake, Hunny. Isn't it wonderful! Just wait. Any day now, you'll be phasing too! I hope your wolf takes after mine." She began rambling off to herself as she made her way back to the house, chattering about grey and black wolves in the family lines.

I looked at my brother and took a hesitant step towards him.

"Change back." He snarled, staring me down. I froze but stayed wrapped in the warmth of my wolf. He stomped his foot. "Change! Now!" He shouted. I whimpered and released the warmth, feeling it retreat somewhere deep inside me. I looked down to see a human body again and sighed in relief. I still had my clothes and shoes on. I grinned and looked up again.

"I phased! Oh my god! I actually did it." I whispered in amazement. Never in a million years had I thought I'd be the first to phase. Jake was older than me by three days and was better than me at just about everything.

"I hate you." I frowned and gazed up at my brother in shock.

"What?" I asked, confused. He glared deep into my eyes with such an intensity, I was surprised I didn't burst into flames right there.

"I. Said. I hate you." He growled lowly, before turning on his heel and storming off.

That was the day everything between me and my brother had changed. He never smiled at me, or spoke to me for that matter. If he did, it was a cruel remark or put down. He avoided me like the plague and when we moved to another school district, he told everyone we didn't know each other. When his friends would come over and see me, he would tell them I was just a foster kid that mom and dad had taken in. A charity case.

I frowned. I missed the years before. We had been inseparable and completely honest and close to eachother. But, I wouldn't take any of it back. If all the bad in my life hadn't happened, I never would have met October or any of his pack. This was my family now. We took care of eachother, loved eachother, and protected eachother. No questions asked.

As a lay there lost in thought, I heard a stair creak and looked up to see McKenzi coming down the stairs. She smiled shyly at me and sat beside me on the couch.

"Sponge Bob?" She asked, laughing. I frowned.

"What?"

"You're watching Sponge Bob." She nodded at the tv. I looked up at the tv, realizing what she meant. "Oh, yeah. I wasn't even paying attention."

I picked up the remote and changed it to a reality show. McKenzi fiddled with her hands nervously before breaking the silence.

"Sol."

I looked up at her, a blank look on my face.

"I'm sorry about Zane. It's just, your alone all the time. And you never take a second glance at any guys and I don't want you to be alone for the rest of your life. And I know its none of my business, but the phone buzzed and I read the message and thought it would be the perfect opportunity to set you up. I mean, come on, it's Zane freaking Canbury! He's freaking royalty!" She spoke fast, pouring the words like a fountain. She stopped speaking and stared at me, waiting for me to speak.

I sighed and rubbed my eyes with the heels of my hands.

"Did you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe, I enjoy being independent? That maybe I like being alone? McKenzi, I don't play well with others. That's why I don't hook up. That's why I don't encourage any flirtation towards me from others. I like my life the way it is. So meeting this rich, pompous ass, isn't going to do me any good, but test my patience, which we both know wears down quickly." She seemed to deflated and frowned.

"So you prefer to be lonely?" She asked. As I opened my mouth to argue, she cut me off. "I see how you are when you think noones watching. You get this god awful look on your face that just tears at my heart strings. You look so lost and vulnerable. Like when I walked in here. You were lost in your head. You need someone to pull you out and make you want to stay out. You need to find your mate. And maybe this Zane guy ends up not being your mate. So what? At least its a step in the right direction. You need to put yourself out there. He's not going to just pop up out of nowhere. And what if Zane is your mate? What if you don't go meet him? Then what? You'll just spend the rest of your existence alone? I don't think so. We are going to find your mate." I wanted to be mad at her and argue, but she was right. Denying my wolf her true mate was cruel. Denying my wolf the right to search for her mate was even worse.

I sighed again and couldn't help but crack a smile at her serious expression. She softened a bit. "What?"

"Your really are a determined little thing, aren't you?"

She grinned hugely and nodded.

"To help my best friend and sister find her happiness? Damn straight."

"So, what's the plan?" I asked, stretching my arms over my head and yawning.

"Web can talk deets in the morning. Get some sleep." She kissed my forehead and ran up the stairs, two at a time.

'I knew there was a reason I liked her,' my wolf whispered. I could feel my wolf's relief at finally being able to search for her mate.

I smiled.