Chapter 1: Blue Fruit Loops

K, so for anyone who didn't realize, this is Percy's life as a mortal. He is going to high school and Sally Jackson is still married to Smelly Gabe. Anyway.... here's chapter one!

BEEP!!

BEEP!!

BEEP!!

"Uhh... go away.... mom...."

BEEP!!

BEEP!!

BEEP!!

"I said... go....away.."

BEEP!!

BEEP!!

BEEP!!

"Wha...? Wait... huh?"

BEEP!!

BE-

SMACK!

"Stupid alarm clock. " Percy said, as he snuggled back down into his warm cocoon of blankets..........

BEEP!!

BEEP!!

BEEP!!

BEEP!!

BEEP!!

"Uhhhhhh! Shut up!" Percy said, as he finally came all the way awake. He rolled over onto his back, and listened to the sounds from the kitchen right outside his door. His mother was having a conversation with his stepfather as she clattered around the room.

"Gabe, I know that you are interested in Percy's well being, but the answer is no. We can't do that to him, and you know that. It's ok, honey, don't worry about it. It'll all come out right in the end. Hang in there, K?"

Percy heard his stepfather grumble a response. He flopped back in his stomach and moaned into the pillow, before finally pushing himself off the mattress and onto the cold, hard floor.

Rubbing his eyes, Percy walked to the closet, or the pile of clothes in the corner that acted as his closet, and randomly grabbed a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, with a dark blue pullover to go with it. He trudged to the small bathroom all three people shared, pulling the door shut behind him.

After changing and taking a quick, semi-warm shower (Gabe had taken all the hot water, as always) Percy stopped by the kitchen for breakfast. His mother had it ready for him: a bowl of fruit loops, and since she had had extra time that morning, she had sorted out all the blue ones for him, just the way he liked it. They couldn't really afford much, so Sally Jackson strived to make the little they and special.

His mom walked in, hurriedly kissed her son on the cheek and kept going for her coat. Percy looked up from his meal.

"Why are you leaving so early mom? It's only seven. " His mother sighed. "Yes, I know, but my company has just expanded and my boss is working all of the employees overtime so he doesn't have to hire more. I have to work a little bit longer now everyday. And i cant lose this job, Percy. You know how much we need it." Percy huffed.

"What about Gabe? Why can't that little slimeball get a job for once? all he does is sit around with his little buddies and gamble." Sally shushed Percy.

"Honey, don't talk about your father that way-"Stepfather," Percy muttered.- "and I know it's rough us living with him, but at the moment, we don't really have any other choices. I'm sorry sweetie. I know you've been through a lot. Just keep going and we'll pull through this together alright? Have a good day sweetheart. I'll be back around 7:30 tonight, K?"

Sally hugged Percy's shoulders as he muttered under his breath about his stupid stepfather, and then she walked out the door, leaving the two of them behind. Percy sighed, but finished his breakfast and packed his bag. He hurried the through the front door, not wanting to get caught in the house alone with Gabe, because his mother wasn't there to stop his insults.

Percy walked along the curb, listening to music on an old MP3 player, which his mom had bought him for his birthday. They didn't have enough money to buy one of the fancy iPhones the kids at school had, but Percy was grateful for the gift nonetheless, mostly because it helped to pas the time. True, it did pause for some reason every once in a while, but a good shaking usually started it up again.

Percy nodded his head to the beat, and was about to start singing softly when a push came from behind.

"Well, if it isn't little Jackie himself. How're you doin' today, buddy?" Percy glanced behind him and immediately faced forward and groaned inwardly. It was Sean and his cohorts, Jerk Faces 1 and 2, otherwise known as Tason and Josh.

"Are you listening to your daily tunes? Good work, Jackie! I hear doing that can make ya smarter. And you need all that you can get. " The Jerk Faces smirked. They were now walking alongside him. Cornering him. Suffocating him.

Percy walked faster.

"Oh come back Pearbear. You know we would never hurt you. We're all pals right?" He tweaked Percy's ear, which was almost hidden by his shaggy black hair. Percy winced. Sean had sharp fingernails.

They had almost reached the school grounds. Just a little farther Percy thought. Once he made it to school, they usually left him alone.

"Whatcha doin this weekend freak? Workin? I hear your daddy's drunk all day, and your mom can hardly work enough to support him and you. That's why you have to go straight home afta school - because you need to earn money too. Whatdaya do? Cashier at McDonalds?"

Tason laughed, then added, "Nah, that jobs too clean for our friend here. Try.... hauling manure." He and his friends laughed, clearly proud by their creativity in insults, but Percy had crossed into school grounds, and at his school, Gooder High, teachers watched the students like hawks. Or usually that is. Sometimes, they chose the worst moments not to be around. Percy was lucky, though. Mrs. Peterson was analyzing each student as they came in through the doors. Sean and his posse gave one final chortle, shoved him a little, and pushed on ahead as Percy slowed down.

He sighed. This was going to be a long day. Then he corrected himself. Everyday was a long day. He glanced at his schedule one more time to make sure he was going to the right place, it was only August, and hiked up his pack higher on his shoulder.

He had Mr. Bosse first, for language. It was his worst subject. After being diagnosed with ADHD and dyslexia, most things that involved reading or sitting still in a classroom for long periods of time were difficult. Social Studies was next, and because it didn't have as much writing involved as language, it was better for him, probably his best subject. It was the most interesting too, especially learning about the Greek and Roman Empires.

PE was after that, and it would be ok if Sean wasn't in his class. He kinda ruined the fun in the games they played. Fourth period was Science, with Ms. Gorta. All he did in that class was tune out as she droned on. And on. And on. And, well you get it. Lunch was next, and he spent most of that period in the corner of the blacktop they were allowed to roam. He had found a small alcove in the shade of a tree that mostly sheltered him from humanity and its cruelty. Percy hoped this hiding place would last longer than the last one, which Sean had found and drove him out of. After lunch: math. An hour with variables. And fractions. And word problems. He had a C in that class. Pretty good, actually.

Teen Living was sixth period, and most of it was ok. Learning how to calculate mortgage was one of the worse parts, but baking treats made up for that. Josh was in that class, though, and on the first day, their teacher had placed he and Percy right next to each other. It was like she had constructed a bomb and was now waiting for it to explode. Swimming was the last class of the day, and the best by far. In the water, Percy felt free, weightless. He loved it.

Percy watched as the flow of kids filtered in. Then, resigning himself to his fate, he joined them, surrounded but alone, and that was when the first bell rang.

Hey all my readers!! Hope you enjoyed! It doesn't have a whole lot of action, sorry, but chapters should get more exciting as it goes on. Thanks for reading!! Comment, vote, all that stuff!

-The Ones

Stars Can't Shine Without Darknessजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें