*Lost Chapter*

Pan

I remember Jacob all too well. He had been spreading rumors about me and Liliana doing things behind closed doors. Normally, I would just let it go and laugh it off, but something had gotten on my nerves when I kept hearing about it. At first, I chuckled at the mere thought. Now, it just got under my skin in the worst way.

I had decided to confront Jacob on the matter. One night, after supper had been served and everyone had gone to their respected homes, I had stopped Jacob and asked him to take a walk with me.

"Do I have a choice?" He asks me.

Shrugging, I answer, "You always have a choice to obey me. Whether you choose to or not rests on you. If you choose not to, the consequences could be very grave indeed." Coincidentally, Jacob accepted my offer to a walk. I try to keep my Lost Boys in line, even if they are my pride and joy.

We walk through the forest and make our way through green trees and brush, finally making it to the beach. The waves continuously splash onto the sand as if trying to reach farther and farther, thus grabbing Jacob or I in the process. Doubtless, Jacob would be the one who would end up being devoured by the watery grave more so than I.

"Pan, what is it you want from me?" Jacob inquires, breaking the silence.

"Why have you been spreading rumors about me and Lili?"

"Because it's fun. Besides, isn't it true?"

"Whether it's true or not is none of your concern. Your concern is to serve me, not humiliate me in front of my subjects."

"That was not my intention, Pan. I-"

"Your intention?" I interrupt abruptly. "Prey tell what your intention was."

"It was merely a game."

"Oh Jacob, I am the King of Games. What you are playing with is fire."

"I thought you like fire."

"I like it when it doesn't seek to dethrone its master. Otherwise, it just becomes a pest, and you know what happens to pests." I stare directly at him as I say this, emphasizing every word.

"Has she become that bothersome to you?" He says as he keeps on walking, not looking at me this entire time.

"Oh, it is not her that is irritating me. I know how to deal with her kind if it ever gets to the point of being unbearable."

"Then, who has gotten you to the point that makes you want to go on a midnight walk with your Third-In-Command when you and Felix are away?"

"I am staring at him." Jacob for the first time glances up and looks at me. Analyzing my face, he follows my line of sight and looks past himself as if to find the solution in the ocean.

Looking back at me, he asks with a confused look on his face, "Who?"

"My EX Third-In-Command." His eyes lock with mine, and realization dawns on his face.

"It was just a game!" He repeats a little more scared, taking a step back.

"Fine, I will bite." I take a step towards him. "What game do you think you're playing?"

"I was trying to humiliate her. For you." He steps back again and falls to the ground.

"For me?" I walk towards him slowly and draw my dagger. "Jacob, Jacob, Jacob, if it was for me, we would not be here. Instead, we would be back at camp, and you would be getting a reward."

"Isn't that what you wanted? For her to be humiliated?"

"Oh, yes, that is what I want, but I want to do it." That is what I had said to excuse myself from Jacob's reason.

"But you are allowed us to tease her."

"No, I brought her in front of you all to show you what happens when you disobey me, what happens when you challenge Pan at his own game."

"And why don't you do the same for me? As a Lost Boy, don't I get the same rights, if not more?" I lean down and get close to his face.

"Because you know something that will ruin me."

"What is-"

"No more games. I know you saw Liliana and I in the woods that day when we were at the Hangman's Tree. I know that you know what I feel for her." I stretch out my hand, gesturing that I was going to help pull him back up. He takes my hand and comes flying up from the ground.

Dusting himself off, he replies, "Finally, I can stop acting so oblivious." He looks up at me, and I am greeted with bloodlust eyes. "I do know what you feel for her. It is not hard to see if you're looking for it." He emphasizes the word "it". "Also, no more games? Really? Shouldn't I be telling you that? Or should I tell Lili that Eric does not really exist? That he is all a ruse. Better yet, why don't I tell the Boys who you really love? Who is really close to your heart? No? You have nothing on me, Pan. Now, if you excuse me, I have some things I need to take care of." With that, he turns to go. I look out at the dark calm waters as he saunters away. I can sense an uneasiness in the water. Hunger.

"What I want from you, Jacob," I begin softly. At this, Jacob stops and turns around, only being a few feet from me. Turning to look at him, I continue, " is your silence." I wave my hand and use my magic, turning it around so he is now near the water and I am a few feet away from him. He starts to take steps back slowly.

"But I have served you all this time!"

"All this time, you were really my pawn. I am finished with you now." Poor Jacob. He kept stepping back farther and farther. He didn't know the ocean was about to take him. He gets steadily closer and closer to the edge. The mermaids are getting restless, waiting eagerly for their next meal. They can almost touch the back of his boot.

I grab his sleeve before he does. "Do be careful. The mermaids are awfully hungry tonight." Once back to safety, Jacob turns and looks at the water's edge.

"Thank you for saving me, Pan," he says, gulping loudly.

"Save you?" I ask. He looks back at me.

Raising an eyebrow, he inquires, "From the mermaids?"

"Oh, no, Pawn, you have gotten it wrong." I get closer and whisper in his ear, "I didn't save you. I wanted to feed you to the mermaids myself. Unlike you, they don't bite the hand that feeds them." Then, I let go, releasing a terrified Jacob in the process.

Immediately, reflections of scales come flipping through the water and claim their prize, which consisted of a writhing boy. Jacob's screams are loud at first and then they became muffled as a swarm of mermaids pile on top of him.

After the mermaids finish their feast, one comes up to the shoreline. I kneel down and rub her under the chin like the good guard dog she is. Some may say that is inappropriate to feed dogs from the table, but I disagree. I feel they are more well-mannered that way. Once they see how good life can be, they will continue to perform excellently. "There, my Sweet, was that tasty? Never bite the hand that feeds you." She purrs and simply nods. Then, she does a backflip and dives into the water, a purple tail with a silver tint following as she goes. I look on as she returns back to her pod. Smiling, I turn around and head back to my own family, which now consisted of one less snobbish boy.