{•Chapter Eighteen•}

Start from the beginning

Instead of grabbing Leon, the creature's body slammed into the wires and hissed in defeat as it watched the elevator and the man disappear into the mines below.

<-----------<<<<<<<<<<

The mines were infested with villagers. They threatened Leon with sickles, axes, knives, and dynamite as he desperately tried to find a way out of the underground passageways. A boulder blocked the route leading to the only other door in the area. Using his sharp marksmanship, he killed the villagers along with another one wielding a chainsaw and found some dynamite in a mine cart.

Lighting the dynamite, Leon placed it under the boulder and rushed to find cover from the explosion. He ducked behind a small mound of rocks, waiting for the dynamite to ignite. Once the explosion obliterated the boulder, the agent emerged from his cover and ran to the metal doors. He pushed through them and was smacked in the face with a searing heat. Glancing down, he saw the lava underneath the metal walkway. "What's with all the lava?"

Further inside the room, the blonde glanced around as he fought against the intense heat. He tugged at the collar of his shirt as he felt sweat starting to dribble down his face and neck. "Damn, this heat is going to be the death of me."

Leon headed to the red doors on the other side of the room, but he didn't make it far before a large set of doors opened and two giants joined him in the sweltering heat. He promptly ran in the opposite direction and took note of the platform in the middle of the room. He noticed a handle nearby and put two and two together. Smirking, Leon lured one of the giants to the center of the room and pulled the handle once the monster stood in the middle of the circular platform.

The giant roared in pain as its body sunk into the lava. It tried to claw its way out of the burning liquid, but failed. Slowly, its body melted and its cries were silenced. When the platform sealed, the second giant stomped over it. Leon tried to pull the handle again, but it was stuck. He groaned and released the handle as the monster tried to grab him. "Why does this shit happen at the worst possible times?"

Leon faced off against the giant using his shotgun and a couple of grenades he found in the mines. Eventually, the massive creature fell to its knees as it grabbed its head in pain. A parasite sprung from its back and Leon remembered what Gwen did to kill the giant in the quarry. Grabbing his knife, the blonde charges and hops onto the monster's back. He sliced ferociously at the parasite as it wiggled around helplessly.

Repeating the same process another couple of times, Leon vanquished the creature and dodged with a backflip before its lifeless body crushed him.

"Where did you learn that?"

Leon's head snapped behind him at hearing Gwen's voice. When he realized no one else was in the room, he sighed sorrowfully. "I've finally lost it..." He combs a hand through his unruly locks, closing his eyes. He imagined Gwen in his mind and received a clear image along with hearing her voice as if she was standing right next to him.

Leon opened his eyes and gaped in shock at seeing a spectral image of his girlfriend run through the red doors on the opposite side of the room. Believing it was truly her, Leon desperately called out to her. "Wait, Gwen!"

Leon chases the phantom through the doors and down a tunnel. He was glad to finally be free of the heat, but his relief was short-lived by the flapping of wings and all too familiar buzzing. Continuing his pursuit of the specter, Leon shot the novistadors flying towards him. He followed the hallucination up a pathway that wrapped around the large and dark pit he was now trapped in. "Gwen, stop!"

The ghostly image didn't listen and ran down a connecting tunnel. It led to a dead end, but it proved to be useful because Leon found a switch on the wall beside a stone carving. He pressed it and watched it glow faintly. Unsure of what he did, the blonde left the tunnel. One of the statues holding what appeared to be a mirror lit up with a brilliant light.