{•Chapter Sixteen•}

Mulai dari awal

Luis used the last of his strength to swallow the silver liquid. Once it traveled down his throat, the large hole in his chest and back mended. The pool of blood he laid in stopped expanding as the skin was repaired. Not even a scar was left behind as proof of the injury.

The Spaniard coughed as he searched his chest for where he was impaled. He slowly sat up, eyes wide in amazement and a hint of fright. "How... How is this possible?"

"Not only is Gwen's blood poison to the parasites, it's also a miracle elixir. It can heal any wound or illness in seconds," Leon responded, relieved to see Luis ingested the blood before he could succumb to his wound. "Without her blood, I'd be dead myself."

"Fascinating," Luis murmurs as he exams his body closer. He looks around the mezzanine for the woman with the miracle elixir flowing through her veins. "Where is the princesa? I wish to thank her for saving my life."

Leon looked away, his gaze melancholic. "She was captured."

"What?" Luis gasped. "If Saddler has Gwen, it is only a matter of time before he reverses the effects of her blood and use it to make the Las Plagas immune to everything. If that happens, there will not be a way to get rid of the parasites. It could possibly kill her in the process."

Leon rested his hand against his knee, squeezing it tightly. "I'm not going to let that happen. I won't let that twisted bastard take Gwen from me. I almost lost her six years ago. Like hell I'm going to lose her now."

"That's what I like to hear, amigo. A beautiful tale of a knight saving his princess. It never gets old," Luis chuckles. "Hope you won't mind a lowly servant tagging along."

"Sorry, Luis, But you need to stay out of sight and away from all the action. Saddler thinks you're dead, and it'd be better to keep it that way," Leon stated as he stood up.

"Quite a compelling argument, indeed," Luis sighed. "But if I find your princesa, I will do all I can to bring her back safely."

Leon was grateful for having a friend like Luis in such dark times. He smiled as he nodded. "Thanks, Luis."

The Spaniard stood up, wiping his bloodied hands on his pants. "Of course, amigo. Although..." A smirk carved across his face. "I might steal a kiss from the lovely maiden if I find her first."

The blonde huffed with laughter. "Just don't sweep her off her feet. That's my job."

Luis' smirk widened. "No promises, amigo." The man went to leave but stopped in his tracks when he forgot to hand over what he brought the agent. He turned and tossed a bottle towards Leon. "Here. It should suppress growth of the parasite. The sample... You have to get it back from Saddler."

"Don't worry. I'll get it back, Luis. You focus on staying out of sight and if you do find Gwen, try to keep your hands to yourself," Leon said.

Luis chuckled at the blonde's response. "Like I said-no promises." He waved over his shoulder as he disappeared behind the door. Leon couldn't wipe the smirk from his face as he searched the mezzanine. He found a couple boxes of ammo for his rifle and a few rounds for his handgun.

While scavenging for any goodies, Leon heard someone struggling. He peered over the stone railing and spotted Ashley. Moving to the middle of the room, he used his rifle to break the metal straps holding her captive. She shouted in fear as each strap shattered, but she calmed down once she was free and saw Leon on the floor above. She placed a hand on her hip as she stared up at the agent. "Talk about near death experience."

Suddenly, several robed zealots appear from hidden doorways. "Ashley, get out of there!" Leon cried out, shooting the men who tried to grab the girl.