Chapter 10: Miller & Date Prep

Start from the beginning

"Hey Raaaaa- What's going on here?" Katelyn appeared, assessing the tension between the three males.

"Nothing. Let's go." Rafe muttered, dragging the girl out of the school.

"Hey, are you okay?"

Katelyn asked, taking a seat next to Rafe on the bench.

"No. He brought up my sketchbook."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"I'm sorry about your sketchbook, Rafe."

"Don't be, it wasn't even your fault."

"I know, but I still feel guilty."

"Well if you wanna make it up, wanna come over to my house to help me with Jeanne?"

Katelyn's heart sank a little, but she ignored it.

"Of course. What time should I come over?"

"I think my mom can drive you right now."

"Right now?"

"Yeah, there she is now. I'll go ask her. Stay here, I'll be right back."

Katelyn gave Rafe a thumbs up. Rafe jogged up to the green car and spoke with an older woman, his mother, probably. Rafe turned around and shot Katelyn a thumbs up. Katelyn smiled and grabbed her bag. She quickly walked over to the parked car and waved hi.

"Hi Ms. Khatchadorian. I'm Katelyn, Rafe's friend." Katelyn introduced.

"Oh honey, you don't need to be so formal. You can just call me Jules. Come on. Hop in." Jules said with a smile. Rafe opened the door and Katelyn got it, Rafe right behind her.

Katelyn gasped.

"Georgia!"

"Katelyn! You're here! Thank god. I don't know how much longer I would've survived if I didn't see you!"

The older girl smiled and patted Georgia's head.

"You know, Katelyn, Rafe has been speaking a lot about you at home." Jules said, looking at her through the rearview mirror.

"Moooooom. Please don't bring that up. Not now." Rafe complained, leaning his head back on the headrest.

"Rafe. I knew she was cute. But you didn't tell me she was this cute."

"Mooooooom."

"I'm just joking honey."

Katelyn laughed, blushing a little.

Once arriving at the Khatchadorian household, Rafe and Katelyn immediately head up to his room.

Katelyn set her backpack down and threw herself on Rafe's bed.

It smells like him, Katelyn thought and smiled.

"Oh, my god Kate. My bed's dirty."

"I don't care, Rafe." Katelyn replied, rolling over. She patted the empty space next to her, telling Rafe to join her.

"Rafe, come. I'm bored."

"Fine. But you still have to help me."

"Of course."

Rafe sighed and crawled over to the bed and laid down next to the girl. Since Rafe's bed wasn't that big, there wasn't a lot of space in between them.

"So tell me, what do you like about Jeanne?" Katelyn asked, staring at the top bunk, hands behind her head.

"Well, I like that she's smart. She's pretty. She's funny, kind,  and caring. She's also super cool."

"Okay. Well first, you have to be confident around her. Girls like that. You also have to be funny, which you already are. Another thing to consider, is to support her, no matter whatever path she takes. If Jeanne likes polar bears, you have to respect that."

Rafe nodded and turned his head to look at the girl.

"Just be yourself. I think that's the most important thing to remember."

"You think it'll work?"

"If it doesn't, then you'll know she isn't into you."

Katelyn yawned.

"Are you tired?" Rafe asked.

"Nope, just peachy. I'm just going to close my eyes for a few minutes."

"Okay, want me to get snacks?"

"Actually, that's not a bad idea, Khatchadorian."

"Okay. I'll be back then."

"Hmm." 

Rafe sat up and saw the girl on her side, eyes closed. The boy smiled and quietly left his room.

"Hey, mom." Rafe slid onto kitchen stool.

"What's up honey? Where's Katelyn?"

"Nothing much. I'm here for snacks. Katelyn's in my room upstairs."

"We have some chicken nuggets. Georgia couldn't finish them earlier."

"Alright, I'll ask if Katelyn wants any. If you need anything, we'll be in my room."

"Don't do anything dirty, Rafe."

"Mooom. Stop itttt."

Rafe quickly ran up the stairs to escape his mother's comments. He shook his head and opened the door to his room.

"Katelyn?"

Soft snores was all he heard. Rafe set the plate of nuggets down on his desk and sat on the empty space of the bed, which wasn't much. Rafe gave a small smile at the sleeping girl and brushed a piece of hair out of her face.

"Sweet dreams, Katelyn."