Laiyah's interview on Breakfast Club Power 105.1

Thursday, March 5th, 2012. Laiyah was driving her car to the Breakfast Club radio station building and she pulled up to it. She got out and looked all around her. She went inside the building and went into the studio. She sat down in her seat and got herself situated.

DJ Envy: This is Breakfast Club Power 105.1, good mornin', we've got the young superstar, Laiyah Haughton, in the buildin', good mornin', Laiyah.

Laiyah: Good mornin', everybody, I'm so glad to be here.

Angela Yee: So, are we, it's been awhile, since, we had you on here, we've never had a hard time gettin' in touch with you, and now, it's hard gettin' in touch with you.

Charlamagne Tha God: She's right, you're the very first artist that has ever been the hardest to get in touch with, and we wanna know why.

Laiyah: I can't tell you that, the only thing that I can tell you is that I've been tryna stay out of the famous spotlight for awhile, that's all I can tell you.

Charlamagne: Well, do you still hit the studio, can you tell us that?

Laiyah: Now, that I can tell you, I hit the studio from time to time.

 DJ Envy: We've heard your song, Never Let You Go, and it was dedicated to the wonderful Aaliyah.

Laiyah: Yes, it was.

DJ Envy: Have you ever met Aaliyah before she died?

Laiyah: I don't think I ever have, but if I did, then, I'm sorry, but I don't remember.

Angela: What inspired you to write a song like Never Let You Go, and then, dedicate it to one of the people who inspired you to do your music career?

Laiyah: She did, Aaliyah did.

Charlamagne: How did Aaliyah inspire you to do your music career, what did she do in her music career that made you wanna say, "Now, that's what I wanna be when I grow up"?

Laiyah: She was always down to earth, she kept it clean cut, and she was real about it, it's like she was sendin' you messages through her songs.

DJ Envy: The whole world says that you look like Aaliyah, do you think so?

Laiyah: A little bit, not too much, they say I sound like her, too, but I don't think so.

Angela: But you do, you sounded like her all the way whenever you did Never Let You Go.

Charlamagne: Let's talk about Never Let You Go, was it meant for Aaliyah, was it dedicated to Aaliyah only?

Laiyah: Yes, when I first wrote the song, I described her from my point of view, I described her as what she was like to me, even though, I've never met her or, at least, I don't think so, but whenever I was in the studio singin' it, what I didn't know was that I was cryin', also, I mean, you couldn't hear me cryin', but I was cryin' in the music video, so, I wanted the fans, and everybody else to understand that I felt a certain way towards Aaliyah, too, happy that she's in Heaven, but sad because she's not here on earth with us anymore doin' what she loved doin' best.

DJ Envy: You had every fan, and everybody in tears on that song because it was that deep, it's like they were feelin' what you were feelin', and watchin' the music video to it, seein' the emotions that you had, that you poured out towards the artist that inspired you, that was an idol to you, it made everybody cried because we all felt the same way you felt about Aaliyah, have you ever thought about performin' that at a special awards like the BET Awards or somethin'?