{•Chapter Fourteen•}

Start from the beginning

She swallowed hard as she twirled around in a circle, searching for the source of her anxiety. "I feel eyes on us..." A glint caught her eye, her head snapping in the direction it came from. She took a step forward, now standing beside Leon. Before taking another step, she took the knife hidden in her boot. Her eyes narrowed as she slowly sauntered forward, the sound of dripping water being all she was able to hear besides her erratic heartbeat.

The archivist gripped the blade tightly, catching a glimpse of the gleam she saw only seconds ago. She felt something skitter past her and she quickly jammed her knife into whatever it was. A low hiss resonated from the creature she stabbed as it uncloaked and became visible. Leon aimed his shotgun and fired, executing the monster. Gwen yanked her knife out of its body and wiped the blade on her shirt before sticking it back into her boot. "Guess this is what Salazar meant when he said "insects." At least that's one less insect left to deal with."

"You could be a human radar," Leon chortled, splaying his shotgun over his shoulder.

"You're telling me you didn't feel like you were being watched?" Gwen pondered.

Leon shook his head. "Out of the two of us, you're the one who's more observant. That's another reason I think you should become my official partner once we return to D.C. Could use someone with sharp senses by my side."

Gwen raised a brow, her lips pursed. "What's the main reason you want me as a partner so badly?"

"You really want to know?" The blonde questioned in response.

"I've an inkling as to why, but I want to hear you say it." She bit her lip, trying to keep her lips from twitching upwards into a smirk. She crossed her arms, eagerly awaiting the man's response. "It would be more enjoyable to hear you say it if my hunch is correct."

Leon grinned in delight as he stepped towards Gwen. "So we wouldn't have to be apart for months on end."

Gwen's smirk morphed into a gentle, heartwarming smile. "And if we were partners, we'd never be apart for long periods of time. Between your training and missions, these past six years have been difficult. Guess that's what happens when you accept a job from the government."

A glint of hope flashed in Leon's sapphire eyes. "Does that mean..."

The young woman uncrossed her arms. "It doesn't mean anything yet, Leon. Don't get your hopes up just yet. But I will say this: I would love to become your partner if it means we'll be able to spend more time together."

The blonde was jubilant at her words and closed the distance between their bodies. One of his hands found its way to Gwen's cheek as he bent down to press his lips against hers. It was a short kiss but brimming with passion and yearning. They pulled away from each other when they heard a loud splash nearby. The agents' heads snapped in the direction the sound came from and sighed in unison.

"Probably another bug," Gwen groaned while rolling her eyes.

Leon removed his hand from her cheek. "I don't doubt it."

<-----------<<<<<<<<<<<

Eventually, the couple arrived in an area with jail cells. They were ambushed by more novistadors, but they made quick work of them. While searching around, Gwen had found a memo written by Luis.

*****
Luis' Memo

There are some parasites that have the ability to control their hosts.

It's basic knowledge among biologists but not much is known as to how the parasites do it.

Studying these parasites specifically might reveal some clues to as to how the powers of the Las Plagas work and perhaps provide more insight on the victims of the Las Plagas, the Los Ganados.