Chapter Two

The next morning, you wake up in an elegant bed. You sit up, just as Marcus comes in with a cart of sweets and tea.

"Bonjour, Ma Dame." He says fluently in French, which means "Good morning, My Lady."

Marcus brings over the cart of pre-breakfast and, before he closed the door, he said,

"Your presence is required at Breakfast." And then he silently leaves.

You pick up a macaron and pop it into your mouth. The savory French cookie melts in your mouth, leaving a strawberry taste in your mouth.

After your pre-breakfast, one of the maids comes in with a dress, corset and all.

Corsets didn't bother you much, you were used to putting them on.

~Time Skip Provided by Italy~

As you say at the long breakfast table, you noticed your mum looking worried.

You coughed to get her attention.

"Yes, darling?" She asked, fake smile returning.

"Is something wrong? You ask her. You knew that look.

"Darling, you can't marry Phantomhive."

You were in shock. Why? Did she want you two apart? Was it for a good reason?

"How come?" You raised your voice a little.

The queen sighed.

"He never asked for your hand in marriage, which is something that they have to do. Please pick another..."

You look devastated. Then you sat up and left.

Before you closed the door, you said in a depressing tone,

"I'm leaving for a while." You tried to say with a smile. "Come on, Marcus."

You head to the back of the palace, as you put on the commoners clothing that is kept by the maids, which was currently drying on the line.

You get in the carriage with the least appeal. Marcus gets in the front seat to guide the horses.

~Time Skip provided by half of Marco Bodt

(*cries* I'm a terrible person I'm sorry.)~

The carriage finally stops. You step outside and get a look at the setting around you.

Marcus steps off of the carriage, and the both of you walk around the town.

~30 minutes later~

Marcus stopped walking, and covered your mouth and quickly carried you against the wall which wasn't facing the alleyway.

He gave you the finger to the lips.

"Shh."

Three men stood in the alleyway. They suddenly shut up, and you heard footsteps coming toward you. You hugged Marcus tightly, clinging to him as the footsteps drew closer.

The butler carried you to a room, right beside the alleyway.

"Stay here. Please, My Lady."

As soon as he left, you looked out the window. You saw Marcus draw his sword, in front of the gang men.

Then, you heard a loud boom.

Marcus was shot, on the top of his right shoulder.

"MARCUS!" You screamed, partially crying.

You ran out the door, running to the fallen butler.

The thugs were gone.

You kneeled down, and Marcus was knocked out cold.

You sat there, crying over the butler.

"Why..."

Suddenly, a hand on your shoulder. You looked up at the person touching you.

It was him. Ciel.

There was a tall man with dark, black hair standing behind him.

"He...he..." You stuttered.

"Sebastian," He said with a plain voice, "See to her friend."

The black haired man picked up Marcus, while Ciel put his hand out, gesturing me to get up. He helped me up, and led me to his carriage. In the carriage, going up and down to the rough roads, you fell asleep.

You woke up at Ciel's manor.

You remembered- Marcus!

You ran out of the bedroom, looking for him.

You ran into a tall, black man.

"If you are looking for your friend, go down this hall, two doors down on the right. He should be there." He said with a smile.

You reached Marcus' room in the matter of two minutes.

You saw your friend, lying on the bed.

"Marcus!" You yelled as you ran beside the bed.

The butler sat up.

"Hmm? My Lady..." He winced in pain.

"Lay off the shoulder." You said with a tone of sadness and care in your voice.

"Are you alright, Ma Dame?" He asked, carefully inspecting you.

"I'm fine, Marcus. Get some rest. You'll be fine, and we can go back home in no time." You said with a faint smile.

Then, somebody knocked on the door.

"Hello?" You asked, now staring at the door.

"Here are some clothes for you, Miss."

Outside the door was a lady, which appeared to be a maid. She wore a plain, puffy, dark blue dress with a white apron going all the way up to the top of her dress, and she wore large, circular glasses.

She handed you a nice dress, that was a very light yellow, with short, puffy sleeves, and white bows on the lace which was on the neck.

The maid guided you to your room, and left you to change.

When you were done changing, you headed downstairs.

When you saw the butler, you asked him a favor.

"Can you please thank the head of this house for letting me stay? Tell him I appreciate it greatly."

The Butler replied,

"Certainly, Miss.. Oh. I didn't quite catch your name."

You thought that you shouldn't tell him your real name.

"My name is Clare. Clare Bokenfield."

The butler just smiled, bowed, and left.