Chapter Seven: The Chance

Your POV:

You sat down calmly with Charlie, the princess almost feverishly straightening all of her things and making them neat. There was no tension, at least not anymore. You were polite, patiently waiting as she got everything in order and even poured them both a glass of wine from Husk's reserve (Vaggie would have a fit if she knew.)

Then, Charlie sat down. "I'm so sorry that I wasn't better prepared."

It was around the hundredth time she apologized, but you once again assured her that there was nothing to be sorry for.

"I did come a little earlier than expected... Things up in the high court are a little complicated sometimes, so I was sent before my initial instructions suggested I come. That, and your father wasn't all that eager to greet me at the gates..." You explained with a somewhat miffed smile. It hadn't been your intention to come so soon, but the archangel Ethan insisted for unknown reasons.

"Well, I'm sorry if the journey here was... unpleasant." Charlie said, looking somewhat ashamed of the place she called home. But, she seemed to set it aside and that bright cheery smile came back onto her face. "Anyway, it's great to finally meet you, em..." Charlie drifted off as she realized she hadn't even asked your name when you first came in.

You were about to open your mouth and tell her, but a shadow leaving the doorway caught your attention. For some reason, you smiled a bit with nostalgic amusement. Alastor always was the kind of person to want what he wants when he wants it, and he wasn't above using any means he could to get it. You chuckled a bit to yourself. It was a nice effort...

"Charlie, were you taught how to speak Enochian?" You ask her.

Enochian; the language of the birds, or otherwise known as the perfect divine language of the angels. Charlie looked somewhat befuddled at the inquiry, but nodded her head slowly.

"Well, sort of... my dad wouldn't teach me, but I found some old books in his private study and taught myself. Why?"

"I need us to speak it. Just for... privacy reasons." You turned your head towards the door, knowingly. "I mean, I know that no one could possibly be indecent enough to drop in on a private conversation, but it doesn't hurt to be a little cautious."

Charlie caught your amused expression, and looked towards the door, then back to you. She had a feeling you were referring to someone in particular. And she had a feeling that someone in particular was Alastor, given the tension that had emitted from him upon walking through the hotel doors when you both first arrived.

"I suppose I could..." she smiled a bit nervously. "But, uh... don't be too upset if the pronunciation isn't right. You're the first person I've ever gotten to actually speak to in that language."

"Don't worry." You assured. "It'll be good practice. Especially given you have angelic blood. I'm glad to know you took initiative to learn the language yourself."

Charlie was surprised; she knew she had angel blood in her lineage, but no one really acknowledged that fact. And, deep down, though she'd never admit it, the thought made her a little giddy inside.

You both began speaking the language of the angels, and oddly enough, this seemed to bring them a little closer. You smiled sadly as Charlie rambled on about her project and everything it aims to achieve, how she has her heart set on bringing sinners back from the darkness that they'd been dragged into. Her words were a little jumbled, and sometimes you were forced to ask her to slow down or repeat something, but the communication was otherwise well balanced.

But then came the moment of truth, when you were forced to tell Charlie just why you had come down there. "Charlie... I'm not exactly proud of what I'm about to say, but it is the reason I came down here to begin with."