Chapter Thirteen: Fountain and Jackets.

Start from the beginning

No, this would be different. This had to be careful, quiet, a subtle sort of pull and push, a tipping of the scale one way or the other. There would be no shouting, no lashing out. This was about small gestures, careful comments and clever maneuvers.

The power was already with her. Her very status held the game in her favour. There was no resisting. Obvious resisting wouldn't get a rise out of her like it did Asher. I would have to move with the tide, and hope to swim rather than sink.

She'd made her first move by sitting in the middle of the bench; politeness would dictate that I sit beside her. The little space available would mean I'd either have to ask to sit, or squeeze into the edges she provided me with.

Of course, she'd overestimated me. Her mistake for thinking I was polite.

I turned and walked to the fountain. Took a seat on it's wide stone ledge. Leaned over and dipped my fingers into the cool water. Completely content as I reached down and twirled some of the underwater plants. I didn't bother to glance over at the Queen.

"Lady Eris." Her voice was almost stern, but not quite there.

"Hmm?" I looked over, smiling.

"Won't you join me?" She gestured to the bench she sat on.

"I'm quite happy here, Your Majesty." Nothing but respect in my voice. I turned back to the water and spotted the small fish darting around beneath the glassy surface.

I heard her sigh. Her skirts ruffled with the motion of her standing, and then her heels clacked as she moved to stand before me. She didn't choose to sit.

I laughed inwardly. Still didn't look at her.

"Do you know why I asked to speak with you, Lady Eris?"

"Not exactly, Your Majesty."

"Could you hazard a guess?"

"It could be a number of things, Your Majesty."

"And therein lies the problem, don't you think?"

Finally, I looked up at her. She stood staring out at the receding light, hands folded in front of her, jaw set. Her pale skin shone inky blue, and the faded red of her hair was darkening to brown as the sun swept the light away.

I didn't reply, but stared at her expectantly.

"I rarely lose my temper, Lady Eris. Never have much of a reason to. I would consider myself to be a measured individual. My temper was decidedly more explosive in my youth." This personal information surprised me a little, but I didn't comment. "Can you imagine my surprise when I watched you tonight, on national television nonetheless, and felt nothing short of pure, undiluted rage?"

My insides turned cold with dread. She still wasn't looking at me.

"I have to admit, that's a little surprising." I mused. Her shoulders tightened. "Considering all the other incidents, that interview seemed subtle in comparison."

"Those other incidents weren't broadcast to all of Illéa." She spat. Finally, it looked like I was getting under her skin. A tomato red blush had started to leech upwards from her chest. Her cheeks had turned splotchy with the colour.

"I didn't say anything outlandish."

"No, I noticed you were careful not to actually say anything out loud. But you made it quite clear your position on the palace and my son."

"So you're angry at me for not saying anything?"

"I'm angry at you-!" She made an effort to quiet her voice. "I'm angry at you for behaving in such a scandalous, horrendous and provocative manner."