Chapter 42 - Lord Marquis, Don't You Want It?

Start from the beginning

Teng Yun said, "Still, he is your mentor. What he said and did, you have to consider the lessons behind them."

After practicing for some time, Xue Pei had to go back to his literature lessons. Teng Yun also returned to Yunfeng Palace.

On the way to Yunfeng Palace, Teng Yun saw Chen Yi stood waiting by the road.

Chen Yi smiled and said, "This lowly subject has something to discus with Your Majesty. Could Your Majesty send your attendants to retreat a few steps back?"

Teng Yun didn't know what Chen Yi was getting at by acting this secretive, but he still ordered Xiu Yao to lead the other palace maids retreat a few distances back.

Chen Yi then said, "Actually, this lowly subject has two problem, and hope Your Majesty the Empress can answer them."

Chen Yi was smiling, yet his gaze at Teng Yun was unnervingly intent as if watching for Teng Yun's every reactions.

Chen Yi said, "When I traveled to Feng Country, I often heard stories about the Grand Princess..."

Eyes still looking intently at Teng Yun, he continued, "I never understood, what offense had Your Highness done to the Prime Minister that caused you to be sent away to marry so far from home?"

Teng Yun frowned. He didn't know anything about the original owner of this body. Also, Feng Country's Grand Princess was a member of the royal family, it was impossible whatever offense she had done would spread to people outside the Palace, let alone to other countries. Teng Yun had been busy fighting with Xue Country at the border, he never had the need to hear news about Feng Country's Grand Princess.

So when Chen Yi asked him like this, Teng Yun didn't even know what to say.

Chen Yi's smiles grew bigger. Without insisting Teng Yun to answer the first question, he continued, "This lowly subject is eager to ask the second question. Has the Empress heard about someone named Teng Yun?"

Teng Yun's heart skipped a beat but he strove to stay calm. He said, "High Mentor has been mentioning this and that, what is it that you really wish to say?"

"I don't intent to conceal anything from Your Majesty. I have been living in Teng Country for almost twenty years, I have learned a lot of tales and stories, especially tales about heroic people. This lowly subject's most admired hero is actually Teng Country's Sixth Imperial Prince, Teng Yun, who was a reputable great military general. Maybe Your Majesty has never heard of, or maybe never paid attention to this one story. Legend has it that he was an iron-handed general who was very talented in fighting. One time, when fighting with Marquis Wannian, his right hand was heavily injured. Later, though he could still shoot arrows superbly, it was said that his right hand would tremble slightly when pulling the bow..."

Teng Yun's face paled slightly. Chen Yi noted this but still he continued, "That time, Minister Shang sent a very famous and talented physician to the border, to examine and treat Teng Yun's injured hand. But I thought maybe General Teng Yun's injury was too serious to be cured completely... Just now, I saw Your Majesty's archery. Your right hand was slightly shaking, but your arrow's point was not affected in the slightest. This lowly subject guessed, maybe it had already become a habit."

Teng Yun narrowed his eyes but apparently Chen Yi wasn't done talking, "Previously, this lowly subject asked Your Majesty what had the Grand Princess done to offend the Prime Minister, but the truth is the Grand Princess never offended the Prime Minister. Instead, she offended Feng Country's king; she opposed Feng Wang's relationship with Marquis Zhulu and as a result was sent away by Feng Wang to Xue as a bargain for marriage alliance.