Chapter 42 - Lord Marquis, Don't You Want It?

Start from the beginning

The officials, having no success in persuading Teng Wang, turned to Teng Shang for help. Before Teng Shang even opened his mouth, someone entered the court hall. The man was one of Xue Houyang's trusted commander.

The man said, "Xue Wang asks for Teng Wang's lenience. Our king sees that General Teng Xin is a brave military commander and really appreciates his talent. Xue Wang requests Teng Wang to hand Teng Xin over to Xue Country."

Teng Wang's expression turned even more sour. Because he owed Xue Wang for helping him, he had no other choice than agreeing to Xue Wang's request.

Two days later, Xue Houyang and his portion of the soldiers arrived at the Imperial Palace. Xue Houyang didn't enter the Palace, instead sent someone to inform Teng Shang to come out, and then they all returned to Xue Country.

Teng Wang sent Xue Houyang and Teng Shang off, saying he would personally go to Xue Country in a few days.

In this way, Teng Country had become a territory under Xue Junliang's name.

---

Teng Yun and the Crown Prince, Xue Pei were practicing martial art at the training ground. At this time, the High Mentor, Chen Yi walked pass and stopped to pay respect.

Xue Pei didn't seem to like this mentor very much. He deliberately laughed and said, "High Mentor, will you practice archery with us?"

Chen Yi was clever, naturally he knew what the Crown Prince's intention was. He just bluntly said, "I cannot shoot arrows."

"Then will you practice riding with us?"

"I cannot ride a horse either."

"Oh..." Xue Pei said; his mannerism was very similar to Xue Junliang's. He then said, "This student seems to recall one joke, but isn't sure High Mentor wishes to hear it or not."

"Do tell, Your Highness."

Xue Pei smiled and said, "White-faced scholars cannot carry weights on their shoulders, cannot pick up tools in their hands. "

[T/N : 白面书生 (bái miàn shū shēng). Literary means white-faced scholar; an idiom about young and inexperienced person who learned from books but have no practical experience.]

Teng Yun coughed loudly to remind Xue Pei. Chen Yi was still a person with talent, ridiculing him like this seemed a bit too much.

Chen Yu didn't look bothered by the sentence, instead said, "It is true that this lowly subject could not carry weights and cannot pick up tools, but this lowly subject can see the world while sitting in my seat, can create powerful soldiers by spreading bean seeds. Your Highness must keep this in mind; physical strengths can shake the whole world, but knowledge can bring peace."

Xue Pei pursed his lips. Teng Yun noted the Crown Prince's expression and guessed that Xue Pei was a bit dissatisfied with his mentor but unable to say it out loud.

When Chen Yi finally left, Teng Yun asked Xue Pei, "Why were you so rude to your mentor? Do you think he is not good enough to become a mentor?"

Xue Pei tsk-ed while wiping the sweat on his forehead. He said, "He is only good with books. I have asked around, He Zhong and his brothers told me about him but I didn't believe them. But today, I'm convinced... But I also think his words towards me is too rude, too."

Teng Yun nodded, agreeing with Xue Pei's opinion. Chen Yi relied too much to his books, he was also arrogant. This made him too fixed to his principle. To other people, he appeared too straightforward and rude. He had to move from Teng Country to Feng Country, then again to Xue Country, it was because people found him unbearable and didn't want to stick with him.