The Shadow

Unknown POV

Darn kid would not stay out of trouble. At this rate, I will have to speed up the investigations. They have already found him. If he would have just stayed inside the ramen shop like a normal person who hears violence outside, this would have all been avoided. Naïve kid.

Under normal circumstances, I would not have taken such a job. After all, I should be dead right now. It was only by some miracle that I still live, and it is only my desire for revenge that is keeping me tied to all of this ridiculousness. That jump was more than enough to break my skull, if I was not derailed by that Hunter.

Nonetheless, I had the task handed to me by Kiba. So long as I manage to keep him under watch and do everything that I can to protect him from Number Two and Number One, Kurogane Suabara will live a life that is not cut short by the chain of events that he himself is unable to remember. Such a pity though, being as oblivious as that. But so long as he does not know much and keeps out of Kageyama's way, he will survive. I just need to deter that pesky Number Two from baiting him and luring him into a trap.

"Kuro-chan," I heard a voice call out.

I turned around with contempt. I did not like being called that.

"That is not my name."

"Oh," Number One said in a sing-song voice. "Then would you prefer I call you the Shadow? I think that's what you call yourself these days."

Grey hair that looks like dead kelp, a malicious face with a gaze like a million daggers. Number One could be identified from a mile away. That degenerated state of his seeps past his voice and thinking to his appearance. He did not have long to live, just like the rest of us.

"What does Kageyama want with the boy?" I asked him bluntly. I needed clear answers, and there was no better source than an individual working as his right hand for the Zeus Project. "He does not have the skills anymore, nor does he have any memory of the Projects. Hunters are bound by an internal programming to not be able to take down those who have no memory of the Projects. It would be an unnecessary move."

"I am not aware of what you are talking about."

"Do not play dumb with me, Kira." I distastefully said his name like it was poison in my mouth. "Tell me what Kageyama aims to achieve by dragging a failed Project back to his world."

There was a moment of silence.

"Whatever makes you think that we have any interest in trash is left for you to think of. I'm only here to serve as a Hunter for one purpose. You've been snooping around, haven't you?"

I did not answer him, but we both knew what I would have said.

"Ryuusei Blade!"

Alerted by his sudden use of a Hissatsu, I left my position on the ledge and started to run down the roofs. At my damaged state, even I could not handle his level of strength. An experienced Hunter such as he would easily trump any failed Project he comes across.

"What's wrong? Where did that bravado a few months ago go?"

It was a dangerous game of dodgeball. If I was to get hit, I would likely have my spine and ribs broken for the second time in a number of months. Not a pleasant thought, to be sure. So I tried my best to keep out of the blasts' way, making swift turns and last-minute sidesteps. Admittedly, I had gotten rusty, and I was not as graceful as I was back then. In fact, I was sure Sakurazaki's team would ask why I stopped being so nimble. But injuries like this really do affect a player's physical condition, no matter how strong the power might flow through an individual.

"Your senses have dulled!"

A powerful tingling sensation went down my spine, and I quickly turned to see that the ball was heading towards me. I had been to busy dodging the others, that I had not noticed the other one. There was only one thing that I could do to save myself—any sidestep would lead fo further despair.

I planted my feet and concentrated. If there was anything I could do to continue this mission, it would have to be that. The only question was if I could properly manifest it.

Breath in.

Breath out.

Breath in.

Breath out.

Gather the energies from within yourself.

Your hopes. Your dreams.

Things you adore. Things you cherish.

People you believe in. People you love.

Turn that into your strength. Turn that into something you can use.

Let the power flow from the depths of your existence and into your body. Let the power circulate around your body.

Nozomi no Nagare.

The power that allows us to go beyond.

Send it to your legs.

Now...

Manifest it!

The familiar purple flash burst forth, and my body fluidly. It was reflexive, automatic. We had done it a hundred times. I was not its true user, but I was definitely enough to make it happen. The same convictions despite being vastly different individuals. It was the only proof of our connection to one another.

Number One still stood, but a pool of blood formed at his feet. The ball had popped up on his torso, which was now open to the air. His intestines were swollen and quite visible, almost forcing me to puke out yesterday's breakfast. The burn marks on his face, the numerous scratches on his body, and the abdominal cavity all had a part in making him look like a walking corpse.

He reached into the torso hole and pulled out a grenade. I did not even want to imagine where that explosive had been hiding this whole time. I could only figure out that it was a failsafe method in case something untoward would happen to the Hunter.

"I will return to get you next time, " he warned in a gurgling voice.

I did not answer him. I just ran.

A/N: A short chapter, but one that gives hints to what is really going on in the background. The Nozomi no Nagare is a new concept, which will be further explained. It is pivotal in understanding Suabara, Shadow, Numbers One and Two, and two other characters. Aside from that, it is offered as the driving force behind the mysterious abilities called Hissatsu Techniques.