Please, Just Say I Love You (2)

Chapter Two
Hermione
Before her third year at Hogwarts, she always hated when the Leaky Cauldron steps squeaked when she walked up to them. Hermione thought them annoying; especially when she and her friends were talking and they had to raise their voices. But now, the creeks were as welcoming as cake on her birthday in the deafeningly silent staircase.

Hermione was drained when she reached her door. Her one desire was to fall onto her bed and cuddle with her cat, Crookshanks. She reached into her pocket for the key but only found her two letters and photos. She frowned and checked her other pocket and only found a few sickles. Frantically, she patted herself down looking for the key that led into her room.

"For Merlin's sake," she groaned.

"Where did I put it?" Hermione paused and thought back to earlier and replayed the morning in her head. After taking a shower and dressing for the day, she absentmindedly grabbed some money and walked out of the room. But did I grab my key? She replayed the memory over and over until she was positive she left the key laying on her bed. "Damnit," she growled.

Staying at the cauldron was extremely unsafe for a famous witch, like herself. But she had no other place to stay. Minister Kinsley had strict orders to have her door charmed so no intruders were able to find nor force their way in. The only way in was with a set of keys. One key was with herself and the other with the Minister.

Hermione checked the door handle out of pure desperation, but it stayed firmly locked. Frustration washed over her. "Stupid door," Hermione grumbled, hitting it with her fist.

She knew no matter how hard she hit the door or used magic, it wouldn't open. She was near tears when she leaned her head against the door. How could she be so stupid? She knew the only way she could get in the room was with the key.

Usually, Hermione always made sure it was with her at all times... Maybe it was because of the memories that seemed to haunt her more on this day than any other.

She turned her back against the door and slid down to the ground in defeat. She was at war with herself. The rational side of her was telling Hermione to go downstairs and send a message to the appropriate person at the ministry but just thinking about going downstairs and facing people made her want to scream. Why didn't she take up Mrs. Weasley's invitation to stay with them? But she didn't want to intrude on their family, especially with them grieving of Fred and Ron appearing every week.

Hermione slid her head to the side and rested it on the door frame. She knew she should get up but it was so peaceful in the middle of the silent hallway. Soon people would be coming up to their rooms. What if... In a moment, she thought as she closed her eyes and breathed in the familiar smell of musty building. Slowly her whole body began to relax and she soon fell into a peaceful slumber.

Draco

Draco tossed and turned in his bed unable to fall asleep yet again. He stared up at the dimly lit ceiling counting the seconds that went by. Draco counted to twenty when another scream erupted from the depth of his mind. Draco winced and closed his eyes tightly while gritted his teeth together waiting for the voice to fall silent so he could continue counting.

One... Two... Three... Four... Five... Six... Seven... Eight... Nine...

"NO!" A woman's voice whimpered. "Please, you don't understand, I don't know where he is. I don't know-" the woman's voice turned into a high pitched wai. "Please!"

"Tell me!" Another voice added along with the woman. "Or else I'll kill you and your family."

"I don't know," The woman cried. "Please believe me!"

"Avada Kedavra!" The other voice roared- his own voice.

Draco grabbed his pillow and jammed it over his ears.

"Don't," He moaned. "Stop." He tried to steady his breathing but they came out as gasps and whimpers. Calm down, Draco told himself. Deep breaths. He took in a deep breath of air and the woman's screams subsided into silence.

He started counting again. One... Two... Three... Four... Fi- A soft knock at his door cut him off.
"Draco?" His mother, Narcissa, was outside his door. He laid still hoping she'd think he was asleep if he didn't answer. "Draco, we know you're awake."
He scowled at the door. "Go away," He said.
"You can't hide forever, Draco," His father's voice joined in. "You have to face us some time."
Like Hell I will, he thought angrily. It's all your fault.
"I said LEAVE ME ALONE!" To add to the effect he blindly picked up a random item off his bed stand and threw it at the door. Immediately the glass from a framed family picture shattered against the door and a small scream came from Narcissa.
"Let's go, Narcissa," Lucius' hard voice said. Draco closed his eyes briefly and imagined his father snaking his arm around Narcissa's unnatural thin frame and leading her back to their bedroom where they'd spend the next hour debating whether to send him to St. Mungo's hospital or not. The retreating footsteps and quiet whispers of his parents confirmed his suspicions. He laid back down and started counting. One... Two... Three...