Chapter Twenty

-Sonic was waiting outside the palace gates for his shift to start. He was standing awkwardly by the guards and it made him uncomfortable since they didn't say anything, or even look at him in fact. He wanted to make conversation with them but they would not budge. After a while, he just decided to sit still patiently, which he didn't like doing.
-The guards finally moved as they opened the gates and Silver was walking out. When Silver saw Sonic he stopped and smiled. "Hey, you're early."
"I've been waiting a while," Sonic remarked. "How's Elias so far?"
"Nothings been happening thus far, so I guess he's all right," Silver replied. "He's actually looking forward to seeing you again."
"I bet," Sonic giggled. "Feels like it's been forever."
"All right then. Take care!" Silver waved goodbye and walked away.
-Sonic turned around and was about to walk through the open gates when the guards suddenly lifted their spears up. Before Sonic could ask them what was wrong someone had tapped his shoulder and he turned around immediately. He calmed down when he realized that it was just Fleetway. "Jesus, Fleetway! What're you doing here?"
"I wanted to help," Fleetway replied. "Now that I can actually do stuff, I thought I'd make myself useful."
"But no one else knows about you," Sonic whispered. "You can actually get yourself into trouble."
"So, you don't want my help?"
"I mean...I didn't necessarily say that," Sonic spoke awkwardly. "I'm just a little worried."
"I'll be fine," Fleetway assured as he started walking in front of Sonic. "I won't do anything stupid," He then stopped right before the two guards thrusted their spears forward at him. "Hey!"
-Sonic stepped over beside Fleetway and tried pushing one of the spears back. "It's okay, guys! He's with me," When he saw that the guards weren't convinced he coughed and narrowed his eyes at them. "He's my brother since apparently I need to further explain myself!?" With that the guards immediately withdrew their spears and let them through the gates.
-Once they were in, the gates closed behind them and they were met by an overjoyed greeting from Elias. "Sonic! It's been a minute, great hero!"
"Elias!" Sonic walked up and shook hands with Elias. "It's good to see you, too."
-Elias grined and then frowned when he saw Fleetway. "Um...who's this?"
-Sonic wrapped his arms around Fleetway's shoulders and smiled awkwardly. "This is...my brother, Fleetway."
"Another one?" Elias questioned. "So, that makes you a quadruplet then."
"Why does everyone say that!?" Sonic wailed. "It's hard to explain but he's just my brother, not Manic nor Sonia's."
-Elias crossed his arms and narrowed one eye. "I don't believe I follow what you're saying."
"Then don't," Sonic sighed. "The more you think about it the more it hurts. Trust me."
-Elias nodded as he turned to look at Fleetway and held his hand out to him. "It's a pleasure meeting you! It's not everyday you speak with Sonic's family."
-Fleetway reluctantly shook Elias' hand. "Charmed to meet you, too," He then pulled his hand back immediately. "Heard um...a lot of stories of you."
-Sonic could understand why Fleetway wasn't telling Elias the whole truth since he felt the same way. Neither of them wanted to explain to the others how Fleetway had been there the whole time, listening in on conversations that were private. It would make his other friends suspicious of them. But Sonic knew that he, or Fleetway, would have to tell them sometime, just not now.
-Elias stroked his hair back and started walking. "Let's get going then. I'm sure Megan and Alexis will be glad to see you, Sonic."
-Sonic started walking by Elias while Fleetway stayed close to Sonic. They went in the kingdom and into the hallways of the palace. Sonic examined the pictures of the old kings and queens and thought about what Sally had said. You'd make a great king, like Elias. He never felt comfortable with being born in a royal family, but it wasn't something he could just avoid. He would someday have to go back and claim that role he would live in the future.
-They then entered the throne room where Megan Acorn was already sitting in her throne while Alexis sat down beside her, drawing in a small book. Alexis wasn't a baby anymore. She looked to be be about five or six now and she looked a lot like her mother.
-Elias went to sit in his throne as he grined at Sonic and Fleetway. "Feel free to do whatever. I know you have to be on guard, but there's no reason not to have some fun, right?"
"Thank you, Elias," Sonic said weakly. "If you don't mind I must speak with Fleetway for a moment."
"What!? What did I do now?" Sonic then elbowed Fleetway in the arm and gave a mean look. Fleetway drew back and held his arm. "Okay! Okay! I get it."
-Sonic grabbed Fleetway's arm and pulled him over to one of the pillars farther from the thrones. They went behind it and Sonic checked to make sure no one was near them.
"What's going on?" Fleetway asked while crossing his arms.
"I know Elias said we can do whatever, but we can't," Sonic whispered. "I found out why Naugus hasn't been showing up while the others were here."
"Why?"
"Naugus is looking to get revenge on me. Now that I'm here he's going to strike at any moment," Sonic looked back one more time before he leaned in closer to Fleetway. "We need to keep our guard up. Can you do that?"
"Of course!" Fleetway boasted. "He's not laying a hand on you!"
"It's not me I'm worried about. He's still going to kill Elias in the process."
"He can try," Fleetway muttered.
-Sonic nodded and started walking back to the thrones. "Great. Let's head back now."
-They went over and stood by Elias in silence as they waited. Sonic had kept his eyes closed so he could focus on listening with his ears while steadying his breathing. Fleetway on the other hand was hanging upside down on a flag pole on the wall while looking around. Sonic heard Elias giggle and looked at what Fleetway was doing.
"Fleetway, get down from there!" Sonic hissed. "Take this seriously!"
"I am!" Fleetway wailed as he sat himself up on the flag pole and looked at Sonic. "You have your way of focusing and I have mine."
"You better not break that then," Sonic muttered annoyingly. "I don't want to have to pay for it."
-Elias then giggled again and looked at Sonic. "I wouldn't make you do that, old friend," He reassured. "He seems light-weighted anyway."
"Yeah, I'm not fat like you!" Fleetway mocked as he hanged himself back down with his arms behind his head.
-Sonic growled as he closed his eyes. Fucking smart ass! Sonic crossed his arms and sighed as he continued to listen for any disturbances in the silence. He then felt someone tugged at his glove and looked down to see Alexis looking up at him with her eyes wide while they shimmered in the lights.
"What's going on, Alexis?" Sonic knelt down on one knee and placed his elbow on the other one. "Something the matter?"
-Alexis shook her head and she pulled out her small book from behind her. "Someone wrote something in my book this morning right before you came here. I thought you might want to see it," She flipped through the pages until she found the one she was looking for and showed Sonic. "Can you read it?"
-Sonic nodded and took the book from her. All the letters were in caps and was written in thick red ink. That's not ink! Sonic thought worriedly. He recognized the dark crimson color too well. That's blood! Sonic then reluctantly read the note.
CAN'T HIDE FROM ME
I WILL FIND YOU
EVERYTHING WILL BE GONE
YOU WILL NEVER ESCAPE
-Sonic gulped and stood up almost immediately. Fleetway, come down here now! He waited until Fleetway was next to him and showed him the book. Fleetway grabbed the book and was sniffing the page. What are you doing!? Sonic tried his best to stop the urge to look away.
-Fleetway continued to sniff at it before he looked at Sonic, his expression showed utmost horror. "It's Amy's..." He whispered.
-Sonic's heart sank upon hearing this and he began to panic. He grabbed Fleetway's shoulders and pulled him in close. "Get back to Amy's house now!" He shouted. "Find her and---"
-A loud noise of the wall breaking apart sounded from behind them. Sonic turned around as Elias and Megan stood up from their thrones. There was a hole in the wall where dust was blowing from. When the dust cleared it reveal Naugus, wearing a sinister smile on his face. He looked around and landed his sight directly at Sonic.
-Sonic felt a surge of anger. He ran at Naugus but Fleetway grabbed him and pulled him back. As Sonic struggled he glared at Naugus. "What have you done to Amy!?"
-Naugus laughed out maniacally as he stomped his foot on the ground. "I left her lying in a pool of blood! You can't get to her fast enough even with your speed!" He continued to laugh.
-Sonic stopped struggling and looked at Fleetway. Get to Amy's house now! Tend to her and call in for backup. Sonic didn't wait for Fleetway to reply and shoved him away as Fleetway ran off.
-Naugus turned and looked as Fleetway ran. "Where do you think you're going!?" He pulled out his staff and pointed it at Fleetway.
"Don't you dare!" Sonic shouted as he lunged at Naugus and pushed him to the ground. He looked as Fleetway stopped and looked at him. Don't worry about me! Just go! I'll protect Elias. Sonic relieved himself as Fleetway flew away, but it was a mistake since Naugus took it as an advantage and threw Sonic back.
-Elias managed to catch Sonic and helped him stand up. "Are you all right? Where did your brother go?"
-Sonic pulled himself out of Elias' grip and landed his eyes on Naugus. "He's getting backup; everything's fine!" Sonic clenched his fists as fear started growing in his stomach. Amy's fine. Amy's fine. He told himself.
-Naugus slammed his staff into the ground and moved his cape behind him. "I will kill all of you! There is no escape!"