Caged

In Presteigne, a city near the border between England and Wales, a small girl; Catherine Shaw is playing with her dog in the green hills beyond her house. The large grey clouds overhead block the suns heat, making the soft breeze refreshing. The clouds become darker as they begin to gather together, and the wind grows colder as the wind begins to pick up pace. The little girl tries to keep her hair out of her face as it dances in the wind. 

        An odd glimmer in the sky catches Catherine's attention, she watches a small object fall out of the sky into the grass. Catherine runs over to where the curious object fell. Catherine sees what looks to be a crystal ring, It is not clear or see through but it isn't quite white in color either. The ring is too big for her fingers. Its is circular on the inside, but the outside of the ring has 6 faces like a hexagon. Excited Catherine plucks the ring from the grass. 

        The texture of the ring  reminds Catherine of those prisms that her brother Jacob used to play with in the sun, making rainbows on the wall from the sunlight passing through it. She holds the ring up to the last ray of sunlight she can find, but the sun does not shine through the ring like Jacob's prisms. A smile quickly forms on her face, "I've got to show mum, Jacob is going to love this!" She tucks the ring into her pocket and joyfully skips her way back to her house, her hair flowing in the wind behind her. Her dogs follows at her heels.

                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

        The sun is beating down on the sand and the dry lifeless plants surrounding the winding freeway. The heat waves are hot enough to dehydrate a man in a couple hours. The only signs of life are some cacti spread out along the terrain. A scrawny young boy in his mid twenties with long brown hair dressed in casual shorts and a loose shirt flies by in an old red jeep.  The back seat of his jeep is filled with suit cases.  He looks down at his watch as he passes the sign welcoming him to Arizona. It is 11:30.

        The radio is turned up and the boy is singing along to the CD in his jeep stereo while stuffing a burger and fries down his mouth and drinking his coke. His phone starts ringing and he barley feels the vibrations in time to realize he missed a call. He reaches into his pants pocket and pulls out his phone. He looks down at his phone to see he received a missed call from his friend Spencer. Just before he looks up from his phone, a message from Spencer appears on the screen. "Hey Steve, i might not be home when you get here. The front door will be unlocked, make yourself at home."

        Steve swerves quickly to the left as he looks back at the road to stop him from driving off the road. Steve's phone is thrown off his lap onto the floor by his feet and his drink spills all over his clothes. He hits the steering wheel with his fist and he swears under his breath. He reaches over and changes the song and continues to sing along swerving around the turns on the road.

As he drives further down the road, a thought enters his head to grab his phone off the floor. Steve shakes his head, why would i do that? Steve laughs out loud, "Ha I don't want to die yet." The thought comes back in his head, almost like someone was whispering to him. But he can't tell the difference, he looks down at his phone as the thought pushes harder into his head.

        Giving in to the temptation, Steve reaches down to grab the phone taking his eyes off the road, the jeep swerves sharp to the right flipping the jeep several times and throwing Steve from his jeep into the sand. He tumbles across the sand for a few yards and lands on his back.  

        Steve looks into the clear, blue sky and falls into blackness as he closes his eyes. His eyes jut open but he is still in complete darkness. There are no bruises or scrapes his body that he can see, and he can not feel any pain. He tries to stand up, but he can not move his body. In the distance, a small light slowly grows in size as it approaches. The light abruptly stops just a few arm lengths away, he can now see that the light is coming from a small room.

        He can't see the room clearly, it is though he is he is looking at the room with his eyes almost completely shut. He can barely make out the equipment in the room enough to tell that it is a hospital room. There is someone laying down on the bed but Steve can not see who it is as the man's face is blocked by a doctor standing over him. Steve's attention is brought to the mans left hand lying on the bed by his side, his attentions is slowly captured by a small hexagon ring on the man's pointer finger. The material that the ring is made of is close to that of a crystal.

        "Sir, are you okay?"

        A mans voice, but where did it come from? The hospital room starts fading away. "Check his pulse John see if he is alive."

        A woman's voice that time. Steve opens his eyes to see a man and a woman standing over him. He is back in the sand of the desert. Pain is exploding throughout his body. He tries to sit up but a sharp pain in his back forces him to stay lying down. He can feel liquid running down his face, a dark red substance covering his eyes blurs his vision. Steve can barely make out the time on the man's watch, 5:47. He had been laying in the sand of the scorching desert for over six hours.  He closes his eyes and falls into blackness again. 

        Steve opens his eyes again, he is lying a bed in a small metal room with only two people that he can see. The room kept shaking slightly, where was he. From the hospital equipment and the bag filled with liquid from the movies, he knew he was in an ambulance. Steve had never been in an ambulance before, but what was he doing in this one? Why was he on the bed with a tube going into his body? What happened? As Steve tries to process his thoughts, he remembers the crash and flying through the air.

        Then Steve remembered the thought that invaded his mind; it felt more like a whisper.  Steve couldn't remember, but he had to tell someone about it. He gathered all the strength he could, he had to tell everyone about the voice, he had to tell someone what happened. However, no sound came out of his mouth, as his lips barely moved at all. Then Steve's body became totally limp, the machines next to him started beeping furiously, then came to a constant ring and the machines showed a straight flat-line as his heart stopped beating. The people in the ambulance nervously began trying to revive him, not wanting to accept defeat. Everything they tried failed. He was announced dead before the ambulance reached the hospital.