{•Chapter Eleven•}

Start from the beginning

Leon jumped from the second floor and landed behind Gwen. "We need to find a way out. The fire's spreading."

The sable-haired woman glanced around and found a hole in wall. "There!"

Leon and Gwen jumped through the hole, avoiding the flames. Safely outside, Ashley stormed over to the couple. "Are you both okay? What happened in there?"

"We're fine," Gwen sighed heavily. "And I think we've got what we need to get through the gate."

"Let's head back to the lift," Leon said.

<----------<<<<<<<<<<

On the lift, Gwen pulled out the remaining empty vials from her pocket and the injection gun. Turning a small knob on the side, she made sure it was set to draw blood, not inject. She placed one vial into the compartment and rested the tip of the gun against the bend of her arm. With a tug of the trigger, she felt a small pinch as the gun extracted her blood and filled the vial.

Ashley had been watching as all the vials were now filled with silver. "Does it ever hurt-y'know, the chemicals?"

"Not anymore," Gwen responded. "The pain ended years ago after the final injection." She placed the vials in her pocket alongside the injection gun. Her hand skimmed across the eye in the pocket and pulled it out. She offered it to Leon, who plucked it from her fingers.

The blonde examined the bloodshot eye and the crimson iris. The feeling of the sticky residue on his finger made him scowl. "Hope this is the eye we need."

"Only one way to find out," Gwen said.

Ashley stared at the optic in disgust. "You didn't scoop that out, did you?"

The archivist shook her head. "No. It just... fell out."

Exiting the lift, the trio headed down the path and back to the gate. Leon held up the eye to the retinal scanner and waited as the optic was scanned. A few seconds passed, and a clicking noise was heard from the gate. The man placed his hands on the gate and pushed it open with no resistance. "Guess it was the eye we needed."

"Can I see the eye?" Gwen asked. Leon was puzzled as to why she wanted it, but he passed it over to her regardless. The woman tossed the eye up into the air and caught it before turning around and throwing it as far as she could. "Don't need that anymore, and there's no way in hell I'm carrying around an eyeball in my pocket any longer."

Through the gate, they spotted a few villagers wandering down the path towards them as they shouted. Gwen grabbed her pistol, aiming it at the cult members. However, she was unable to pull the trigger as a truck at the top of the hill started and caught her attention. The roaring engine came to life and the bright headlights flickered on, piercing through the darkness.

The truck barreled down the hill, running over the villagers without a care. Gwen aimed for the driver and fired a single round, shattering the glass before puncturing his skull. The vehicle swerved and crashed into the mountainside, tipping over on its side.

Leon glanced at Gwen, amazed at her marksmanship. "For someone who spends most of her time in the library, you're a pretty good shot."

"That was just a lucky shot," Gwen honestly responded. "I haven't used a gun in six years. Even after all the people we've shot since we got here, I'm still a little rusty."

"Uh, guys?" Ashley tugged on Gwen's top, grabbing the woman's attention. The archivist looked over at the girl, seeing she was pointing at the toppled over truck. "We've got company!"

Myriads of cultists shuffled out the back of the vehicle with torches and weapons. Leon glared at the horde of men and women approaching. He grabbed a flash grenade, pulled the pin, and tossed it into the group. When it detonated, the cultists wailed out and covered their faces. "Run!" Gwen grabbed ahold of Ashley's hand and dragged her along as they ran through the blinded cult members.