"No, I'm—"

"I can't hear you over the sound of me being late!"

It was at the door when a large hand reached the knob before her own, the soft eyes of the Chief of Police staring down at her, which took her back for a moment. Normally, her father was already gone at this hour. "Dad, if you can't tell from our snappy conversation, I'm running late to school."

"That's all well and good but it probably won't help you much getting there on time without this," he said, lifting her copies of Physics homework that she left on the kitchen table last night.

Snatching it out of his hand, she jumped up to plant a kiss on his cheek. "Thanks! Am I free to go, chief?"

"Do you need a ride to school? O'Brien's got the precinct running for the next hour before I get there, so I got the time."

"Dad, the last thing I want to do is show up to school in your police cruiser. No offense."

"Ouch," he said, taking his hand off the door and setting it on his chest. "That one hurt, mi cielito. Get there safe." Kissing the top of her head, he opened the door for her. "Text me once you're on campus."

"Is that a direct order?"

"Your damn right it is."

Sophia grinned. "Love ya, Dad."

Without looking back, she booked it down the steps of their brownstone home and made it past the first five blocks to the station in record time. Though it didn't prove enough as she dragged herself onto the platform and saw her train just leaving the station.

"You've got to be kidding me. Idris is getting an extra-large tonight. With basil and every red pepper that they have."

Figuring she only had two options left (one being the less desirable option of getting dropped off by her dad and having people ogle at her on campus all day), she dialed a number and bounced on her toes, hoping to hear her best friend's voice on the other line.

"What's up, bitch?" From the sound of the music playing in the background, it seemed like she was already driving to campus.

"Lottie, I missed the train. Come pick me up?"

"Absolutely. You know me—I'm selfless in all things that I do. Be there in ten."

Chuckling, Sophia walked out to the street and waited until that familiar cherry red Ferrari Spider stopped, the top dropped back to reveal the beautiful girl sitting behind the wheel, lifting up her shades to raise her brows.

"Your Uber has arrived. I expect nothing but five stars or you aren't getting in."

"I'll do you one better and you can come over later for some pizza. Idris is buying."

"Ugh, don't mention your brother. It still hurts me every time I remember he's not straight." Piling into the car, the engine roared as Lottie tore down the street. She'd gotten her drivers license over the summer and finally got permission from her parents to put it to good use and drive herself to classes so they didn't have to. "Did you sleep in?"

"No, Idris took his precious time in the shower and I took too long waiting for him to get out. Then I almost ran out without Mrs. Potter's homework."

"That's due today? I totally spaced about it," Lottie sighed.

"You forgot homework?" Lottie was always the first to finish any assignment. It always drove Sophia and Harry crazy the way she could compose essays in less than forty minutes without so much as a break. "Is something wrong?"