The House Guest

Paige's POV

"Carly, hey," I said into my phone, "If you're listening to this, you've gotten the other 30 messages I've sent you, and they all say the same thing, so, really, just call me. I'm worried about you."

I sighed, hanging up my phone and placing it on Elena's kitchen table.

"I'm sure she's fine," Bonnie assured. "Didn't you say she was going to see Adam?"

Caroline, Elena, Bonnie and I were at Elena's house, starting our girls' night.

"Yeah, but she always picks up her phone," I said worriedly. "She was sober enough when she left, but..."

"She'll be fine," Caroline said. "We're here to have fun. So quit worrying so much!"

I sighed, but I nodded, putting on a smile.

"Good girl," Care smiled. "Now, Chinese food, or pizza?"

"Do you even have to ask?" Elena said, and Bonnie and I smiled.

Care smiled, too. "I'll get it." She grabbed the Ipad, and her face fell. I realized why when I saw the picture of her and Matt when she won Miss Mystic Falls.

Bonnie took it from her, "I'll do it." Caroline nodded, smiling sadly.

"Do you think that Jonas is just... Being sincere?" Elena asked.

"I don't know what to believe," Bonnie said honestly. "I think he's at a loss. He doesn't know who to trust."

I took a sip of the water Elena gave me. "Join the club."

Caroline noticed our mood was turning dreary, so she piped up with, "And what about this movie situation? How about... The Notebook?"

Bonnie, Elena, and I groaned in unison.

"Care, you've seen that movie like 40 times," I laughed.

"That is so not the point!" Caroline exclaimed.

"Well, yeah, I mean-" Elena stopped speaking when she saw Jenna walk in. "Oh, hey."

"What's going on?" Jenna asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Girls' night," Elena answered, plopping herself onto my lap, since I was sitting at the last available chair at the table. "How are you doing?"

"So you all heard about my fight with Ric, huh?" Jenna sighed.

"He feels terrible, Jenna," I put in.

"Is this some disguised attempt to make me feel better?" She inquired.

"No, no, of course not," Elena said. "It's just about us girls, hanging out. But we'll be here if you wanna talk!"

"Because I am a winner when it comes to relationships!" Caroline said, bumping a fist in the air sarcastically.

"You, too?" Jenna asked.

"You have no idea," Caroline answered, shaking her head.

"Make it three," I said, raising my hand.

"Okay," Jenna said, giving in and walking over to us. She got a water from the fridge. "It's just this whole Isobel thing! He's hiding something from me."

Isobel. That name again... Why did it feel so familiar?

"Well, maybe there's a reason he's not telling you," Caroline suggested.

"Look, I don't want to be biased because he's my dad or anything... But I know my father," I spoke up. "And if he's not telling you something, it's to protect you."