Chapter Fifty-Six

Depuis le début

"Right," Ron answers sarcastically. He moves forward and takes Blaise under his arm protectively. "Just like we need to figure out who kidnapped Draco's mother. And who the bloody hell those barmy twins are. And who took Draco himself and just disappeared into thin air."

Harry snarls. "What are you implying?"

"We're just kids! We have no clue what we're doing!We need help, we need to talk to someone who can help us figure this out."

"They're going to do the exact same thing we will. You really want to put more lives at risk? Have you forgotten what happened last time we asked for help," Harry's eyes take on a dangerous glint as he steps closer to Ron, who pushes Blaise behind him instinctively. "Half of the school almost died. Your nightmares are remnants of the damage."

"But...!"

"And if you think I'm going to allow Blaise to get hurt, you're even dumber than you set out to make yourself. He's my Beta. And so are you. We're family, now. If I have to cross the line of fire to protect you, you better bet I will."

Ron purses his lips, his eyes holding just as much emotion as Harry's. And then he nods.

The Alpha steps back, moves his hand around behind him to take Draco's. "We'll talk about this later tonight. When Hermione's done with her practice exams and can be the level head."

*******

Blaise is sitting on his made bed, his knees drawn to his chest and his body turned towards his desk where a lone parchment lays flat on the surface.

His eyes burn a hole into it, never moving, and he hopes his glare will set it to flames even though he knows it most definitely will not catch fire.

"You alright there," the Gryffindor chirps from the corner, and one of Blaise's eyes twitches at the light tone in his voice. "Blaise?"

"Fine, Longbottom," the Slytherin grits out. "Just dandy."

"You know, thinking about the problem will consume your train of thought. It's better if you find something to do with your time."

Breathe, Blaise tells himself, sparing a glance at the ceiling in a praying manner. "And, pray, tell what can occupy me?"

He doesn't see it happen, but he knows Neville shrugs his shoulders lightly. He knows it. The dense fool. "Playing cards? A game of Wizard's chess? We can go fly our brooms in the Pitch."

"The Pitch is off limits during the Holidays. Not to mention it's January. It's freezing outside."

"Uh," Neville scoffs loudly. "You're a wizard? There's something called a warming charm? I thought Slytherins were supposed to be clever."

"I don't see the appeal in wasting time outside and renewing warming charms every ten minutes."

"We can go to the library?"

"I've already read most of the books there."

Blaise spares the Gryffindor a look just in time to see him nod softly as he looks at his lap, but looking far from bothered or annoyed. Blaise is secretly impressed. He's caught like a deer in headlights when Neville decides to look up and offer him the softest smile he's ever been graced with.

"I heard you and Ron fixed some greenhouses."

"Oh," Blaise exhales softly, the parchment long forgotten and his detention with Ron taking up all the space at the front of his mind. He grins. "Yeah."

"Professor Sprout is in Germany, looking for some indigenous spiny shrub or somewhat," Neville shrugs, looking out the window. "Don't reckon she knows they're getting fixed, reckon she thought she'd have to do it herself."