{•Chapter Three•}

Comenzar desde el principio

"Yeah, the driver. He escaped the crash and ended up being skewered instead." Leon hoped they had kill the cop before hanging his body on the large, rustic hook.

"Ashley could be nearby. We'll need to check, but... all the villagers are prowling around. How're we supposed to search for her at this rate?" Gwen returned the binoculars with a disgruntled sigh.

"Follow my lead," Leon whispered in Gwen's ear. She nodded, her cheeks turning red from feeling his breath against her sensitive skin.

They snuck around the tree and down a small side path. The agents used the buildings to hide from the villagers as they passed by, making sure to not alert the men or women as they crept with silent footfalls.

However, their cover was blown when a woman cladded in a grimy dress and apron wielding a knife spotted them. "¡Ellos están aquí!"

"Dammit!" Leon grabbed ahold of Gwen's hand and ran into one of the houses. He slammed the door behind them and released the woman's hand as he rushed over to the window. The men and women were brandishing axes, pitchforks, knives, and sickles as they approached the house. Leon glared at the incoming threat. "Who are these people?"

"I don't think they're the talking type. They strike me more as the stabbing kind of people," Gwen said, stepping away from the front door.

Outside the window, Leon saw another figure among the crowd. Unlike the others, he was wearing a burlap sack over his head. "What are they planning?" The concealed man pulled on a cord, revving up something in his hands. Once whatever he was messing with flipped on, Leon knew exactly what it was. "Great. A chainsaw."

Leon barricades the door with a piece of furniture before grabbing Gwen's arm and pulling her further into the house. The young woman flinched when they heard a window on the second floor shatter. "Shit!"

Gwen didn't wait for another cue and dashed up the stairs. On the second floor, she found the window next to the bed shattered and villagers climbing up a ladder to enter the house. She promptly pushed the ladder off the windowsill and watched as the man who was climbing fall and break his neck, killing him instantly. "One down, too many to go."

The second window shattered and a woman slowly climbed into the house. Gwen used her pistol to shoot her in the head, the single bullet being enough to blow her head off her shoulders and her body to crumple to the floor before vanishing. "That is definitely not normal."

Leon heard the gunshot and reached the second level just as two more men tumbled through the window. He found a shotgun hanging on the wall with a single shell. Pulling the trigger, he killed both men with the one shell. "You okay?" Leon asked.

Gwen nodded. "Yeah. Just-"

Someone grabbed ahold of her hair and yanked her back towards the window. She screamed out in horror as the man pulling her was trying to drag her out of the window. "Gwen!" Leon ran to the window and aimed his pistol at the man's head. "Let her go, you son of a bitch!" He shot the gun, killing the villager with one bullet.

When the man's body tumbled down the ladder and knocked the villager who was making their way up down, Leon pulled Gwen away from the window and pushed the ladder down. He held Gwen close as the sound of the chainsaw crescendoed. "Shit..."

"The window," Gwen said just above a whisper, her head throbbing from how hard the man had tugged on her inky locks. "We can climb out. We're sitting ducks in this house."

Leon knew Gwen was right. If they stayed cooped up in the house, they'd be swarmed and corner within minutes. "Alright, let's go." The two agents vaulted out the window and ran across the rooftop that wrapped around the house. The man with the chainsaw followed them and swung his weapon, but it missed Leon and Gwen by a hair as they jumped off the roof.