Foster Parents

So you know all those stories you hear about foster parents? Well none of them are true. They normally tend to be nice people unless you’re a teenager. Then you end up with the weirdoes, like a woman whose work profession is an artist and she's always in her studio. Her husband is a low life scum, drunk and always trying to feel you up. Those were my foster parents, Judy and David. I was supposed to go to my aunt May and Uncle George, but they couldn't financially take care of me. They already had three kids under the age of ten and to add a 17 year old just wasn't going to work.

        So I ended up with Judy and David. I went to school in the same school so everybody gave me the pity look. They felt bad for me and what happened, but I don't think they fully understood. Nobody understood what I was going through. After three days of crying while nobody was looking, I stopped crying, talking, feeling emotion, and laughing. I used to laugh uncontrollably with all my friends and end up hyperventilating afterwards. But now I don't even know what laughing is.

        All your teachers and counselors try to help you and get you to talk again but you just can't. You lost that ability in "The Crash". So Judy tries to help and she seemed really nice but she was never home. So I was stuck home alone with David whom I try to avoid and all possible. I hated my life, being at the house was a disaster and school was a get-away from it, but it was almost as bad. I needed to run away, but I needed to wait for the right moment.

        I got home from school and ran upstairs to my room or what you could call a room and locked the door securely. My room was a plain white box with white curtains, white floor, white bed, white comforter, white dresser, and white everything else in the room. The only color was the things I brought with me. My family pictures that sat in a box unopened still, my pillow, my favorite blanket, my clothes, my two large duffle bags of everything I couldn't bear for them to throw away. That's it. I felt like I lived in the land of Progressive insurance. You know that stupid commercial with Flo in it. So now that was my life a white box, pathetic.

        I put my book bag away and sat on the bed. Grabbing my journal I flipped to the page I had been working on running away in. I planned on waiting till a Friday when David left to go out to a bar and come home extremely drunk. I would purchases a ticket before then for a bus ride to the mall an hour from here. I went there once with Judy because she thought it would feel better to shop, I actually hate shopping and always have so it didn't go to well.

        While we were there she had to leave to go do something artistic and I was left there with some money to ride the bus home. I wanted to kill time so that I could stay away from David as much a possible so I wandered around. I found this really cool, small door that was hidden in a place with no cameras and nobody even close to it. I had some problems opening it but I got it. It leads down stairs and into the basement I presume. It looked like it used to be used for storage but closed of the main doors to it. Now the small door was the only way in. There were beds from the mattress store or from Macey where they used them to show bed spreads. But either way it had a bed that was so comfy.

        It had many stuff, but I was going to have to buy a mini fridge. Plus it was going to need to be cleaned and I needed to change the door handle so that I could lock it. So I needed to get a job there. I already had some money saved from the job I started a while ago to try to save up for this, but now I know that I need to leave now or never because David has become worse. So I’m going to get a job at the mall and on Thursday I’ll quit the one I’m in now. I’ll do this on my way to the mall so that I could get there and set everything up, although I’ll wait on the mini fridge because I think that might look a little suspicious.

            That’s my plan, it’s not exactly full proof but I’ve been thinking it over a while and been trying to make it as close as I can to being full proof. So it’s Wednesday and I need to work on getting my stuff together and preparing for this trip. Most of it is still in boxes from when I showed up in this crummy place. So now all I need is to put my blanket, my pictures, my books, and anything else I could possibly need. So I take all the things I won’t need from now till Friday and put them in my backpack after taking everything out. I won’t need my books anyways.

            I felt hungry so I went downstairs and put some leftovers in the microwave. That’s all I eat anymore, leftovers. Because David can’t cook, Judy’s never here and I don’t have the courage to stay downstairs in David’s presence long enough to cook. So leftovers it is. When it’s done I grab it and turn around to go upstairs and eat it. But I run into a large male body, almost spilling my food a quickly try to run. He just reaches out and grabs my wrist really tight.

            “Where do you think you’re going little missy?” He slurred into my face. I could smell the beer breath and wanted to puke.

            “I made myself some food; I’m going upstairs to eat it.” I sarcastically replied with a firm voice.

            “Why eat upstairs there’s a perfectly good table right here. You could make me some food and I’ll sit with ya to keep you company. If you’re not hungry and don’t want to maybe we can go and do something else? Uh girly?”

            Quickly I replied, “No sir I’m very much hungry and wouldn’t mind making food for you at all.” I gave him my plate and grabbed another putting it into the microwave. Turning around swiftly so he won’t do anything behind my back I watched him eat a little then just stare at me in a place that made me uncomfortable. So when that bell went off I finally understood the saying saved by the bell. Quickly grabbing my food I went and sat down. I prayed before I ate like I always do; he gave me a weird stare like he always does. So I ate quickly and ran upstairs before he could get a word in.