“Okay...”

There was an awkward silence in the room as the servant comes in and serves cold soba, along with two small plates of assorted hosomaki. Of course, wasabi and soy sauce to come. Shouta held an innocent smile while you stared at him, curious, chopsticks in hand. He was a young-looking boy with shaggy green hair and purple eyes that stand out. Surely Ruka will begin to flirt with him once she sees him. He wore a plain grey yukata.

“Itadakimasu!” Shouta exclaimed, picking up his chopsticks and digging into the cold noodles. You mumbled the same and began on the hosomaki. “You’ve very quiet, Housen-san.”

“What made you accept the duty of a captain then, Arakida-kun?” you asked with a smile, changing the subject and began on the hosomaki.

“Oh! I always wanted to try and lead an army. I heard Nishizawa-sama often join forces with other daimyo which is why your responsibilities are quite heavy.”

“Yes, that’s true. Usually our divisions have up to 10,000 soldiers. It’s hard to describe Nishizawa-sama as a daimyo. She is much bigger than that.”

“I see.” Shouta stopped for a moment to drink. “Jii-chan has a similar brigade.”

Silence took over again.

“Um...Housen-san?” You look up at the boy, who stuttered as he looked down. “You’re very beautiful.”

You blinked in suspect, as he blushed lightly, almost spilling his tea.

“Why, thank you, Arakida-kun.” You giggled, a sudden change in thought. “For that flattering, yet, completely inappropriate comment.”

“G-gomen! I couldn’t help it!” Shouta continued to behave flusteredly.

“Although...”

Shouta looked at you, curious.

“You should acknowledge the fact that...there will never be you and me.”

You unintentionally avoided eye contact from the boy as you drank down warm tea. He just had to know how you usually behave around most people.

“I didn’t even really mean it that way.” Said Shouta softly, now slightly embarrassed. “I just meant that any man could fall for you at first sight?”

You smirked, successfully holding back a laugh and chuckled softly instead.

“Arakida-kun, do you know the difference between love and lust?”

“Er...not really, but is lust something greedy?”

“Sorry, but I think you’re a bit too young to understand. Yes, lust is something disgustingly greedy.” You cleared your throat before continuing, confusing Shouta even more by smiling innocently. “Anyway I look forward to cooperating with you. Now if you will excuse me.”

You took your clay cup of refilled tea and left the room.

“Took ya long enough.”

You flinched in surprise as you turned to your left, where you saw Bankotsu leaning by the wooden wall, biting thin leaf with his arms perfectly crossed.

“And you care because...”

“Cause we’re leaving tomorrow morning.” Said Bankotsu straight.

.....

“NANI!?”

Bankotsu gave a fake groan as he covered his right ear. “What are you screaming about?”

“I thought it was on Monday!”

“Today is Monday.” He replied bluntly but with a smirk.

“Uh, no. Yesterday was Friday and today is...nevermind.” You sighed in defeat. “What time?”

“We leave after breakfast. Don’t be late.”

“I think I’m the one who actually should be saying that...” you mumbled irritatedly. You snapped back up as Bankotsu continued to speak.

“By the way you’ll have to share your room with me tonight.”

“Can you give me a good reason why that is?” you gave him a light glare.

“Because I accidently swung Banryu the wrong way and it sort of destroyed half a dozen rooms.” Bankotsu explained as if it was nothing.

“That is too random.” You sweatdropped. “So you have your own futon?”

“What kind of crap are you on about? Are you expecting me to wreck you or something?” The mercenary leaned in closer, his smirk growing wider, his scent getting stickier to yours. You nudged him away in annoyance.

“Is that a yes or a no?”

“Of course I have a futon. That girl Ruka is too nice.” Bankotsu scowled. You couldn’t help but giggle at the thought.

“Sorry about her. Apparently Hyura and I are the only ones who can control her in a certain situation.”

“At least someone is watching her.” Bankotsu chuckled and you smiled as you two walked across the hall.