Chapter 17

A/N: This one is dedicated to AnimeKingdom.

“We’re really going to miss you when you leave.”

“I told you, Saika-san! If I can bear with them for-“

“A month, then you’ll come back, I know, I know.” The old owner of the tea shop grins. For an elder, she still has quite healthy teeth. You went there for tea that day and just happen to encounter the owner herself. The whole village has heard of the news that you would leave with the Shichinintai. The biggest question going around is, why?

You weren’t wary of the fact that Bankotsu and Jakotsu really wanted to keep you with them, as selfish as that sounds. Nevertheless, it shouldn’t hurt to get to know the other members of the group as well. Another thing was that you enjoyed travelling.

 “You know,” Saika began in a low mischievous tone, sitting down beside you. “A little birdy told the village that you and Bankotsu are…getting close.”

Oh God…

There’s the first hint.

You again?

I’m you. I will never leave as long as you keep denying the truth.

I’m not denying anything, I’m just facing the reality of the situation, which is that Bankotsu won’t be any good for me.

We’ll see about that.

“Yozora-chan?”

Saika’s rough high-pitched voice snapped you out of your inner-debate.

“Are you alright?”

Shaking your head, you stared down at your empty cup, which still had a few tiny leaves at the bottom.

“Fine…just thinking.”

“Well, anyway, it got some young men from the village talking.” Saika smiles with devious written on her forehead, causing you to sweatdrop. Honestly, the interest old women have in gossip and juicy news. “Spill.”

“There’s nothing to spill. Right now, I’m just…keeping my distance from him.” Saika gave you an empathetic look. She was one of the very few people Hyura had told about your past, so she could understand why you did some things others wouldn’t do.

“Well, we’ll just have to wait to see how it turns out, won’t we?” she smiles, wiping your table with a wet cloth.

“I have a feeling everyone has been telling me that lately.”

“Speaking of recent, when is your birthday, Yozora-chan?”

Now that you thought about it, your eighteenth birthday was approaching. Between everything that has been happening lately, the spontaneous execution, the journey, Bankotsu and everything else, you had almost forgotten about your birthday which was in a week. At the castle, you rarely allowed anyone to celebrate it but most of the times, you just had to accept the gifts people gave you. You may be a bit uptight, but you had your principles and manners; returning gifts is not one of them.

“Not far.” You replied, almost inaudibly. Saika knew when your birthday was, but was possibly just reminding you. She only shrugged and reached into the pocket of her robe, taking out something you couldn’t make up with her clenched hand. “What is that?”

Saika grinned again. “Think of it as an early birthday and also going-away present; attach it to your sword.”

She handed it to you, and observing it in your palm, you see a red Omamori (lucky charm) with a gold string. These were mostly seen at shrines and memorials but to have one with you as well is quite useful. At least that’s what people believed, especially with the characters of ‘to protect’ written on it.