Chapter 2: Escape:

A shapely woman stepped up, her pale blonde hair looking almost wind-swept and jagged as though it had been chopped off. Her blazing red eyes scanned the room, the multiple piercings on her face glistening in the dim lighting. Finally, she settled on Alyssa, her pink, plump lips stretching into a smirk, 'Bingo.'

***

Everything happened in the blink of an eye, and soon the room was a mess, the chairs clustered and broken and Alyssa in the hands of a not-so-gentle man. He roughly pulled her by her chestnut locks, knotting and tangling the once neat and wavy hair. 'Gosh, that's going to be a pain tomorrow,' she mused, 'well, if I'm going to be alive to see it'

After that horrifying thought, she grimaced and shot Sapphire a pleading look, only for her to mouth something. 'What, now I'm psychic?' She almost chuckled at her bitter thoughts but pressed her lips tightly to avoid any unnecessary sounds. After all, the glare her capturer was sending her meant business.

It took a while for this to sink in, but by the time she was out the door and in the damp carriage that creaked hazardously, her gaze softened and she felt an unwelcome smile work its way onto her face. 'She believes in me...'

***

"Meet me at the forest entrance."

***

The cell she was in was not...pleasant. The creaking hinges, dark, wet floor and dripping ceiling was certainly not the classic picture perfect room. A rat scampered past her and a small inaudible scream escaped her plush lips.

Curiously, she gazed around the room, catching sight of the snoring guard out her dingy cell. Once more, her eyes began wandering and the slight shuffle of feet above her proved that she was in some sort of a basement. That, and the cloud of dust that pervaded the air every time a particularly heavy step was made.

Coughing, she waved frantically, trying to clear the dust. Alyssa glanced around and then stood up to make a run for it, when she noticed the heavy chains cuffed to her wrists and ankles. They scratched at her skin uncomfortably and she tugged, desperate to get the annoying things off.

After a while, she slumped down, her head hanging and a shadow cast over her face. "How am I supposed to get out now?" she soliloquized, her face twisted into one of defeat.

Alyssa turned her head slightly, a murky brown color catching her hazel orbs. She turned fully, squinting her eyes to zoom in on the object. A large, rusty nail, barely hanging onto the wall, stared right back at her. Coincidentally, it happened to be the only one supporting the chains.

Filled with renewed vigor, she stood up, the sudden surge of adrenaline in her veins making her pull harder. The clutter of chains falling to the floor almost made her whoop in joy but she held in her excited yells.

Without hesitation, Alyssa approached the metallic door and pushed, her feeble arms doing nothing to aid her. 'Gosh, it's locked! Why doesn't anything go my way?' she almost screamed in frustration. During her inner tantrum, she failed to notice the puddle under her. Slipping, she was sent tumbling, the heavy door creaking as it cracked open.

Groaning, she looked up, and above the door, in big bold letters, read, 'PULL'. She stared in amazement before a thought crossed her mind. 'Why would there be door-opening instructions in a prison? Heh, it's as if they expected me to escape.'

Despite the unusualness of the situation, she sighed in relief, glad to be free of the moldy cell. She wasted no time, and stepped through the small opening, walking slowly past the burly guard who seemed to be in seventh heaven from the mutters of "meat..." that came from him every once in a while.

Still, she could not help the idiotic smile that stretched across her face. She was sure that if anyone would have seen her, she would be called bewitched, but she could care less.

"I'm free."

***

Alyssa walked along the dimly lit of halls, the wall lights flickering every few seconds. Her hand pressed up against the smooth surface, taking in each detail, from the slightly peeled wallpaper to the rich yet faded designs.

'Where am I? This look a bit too fancy to be a commoner's house.' She stopped for a while and ran her hand through her chestnut waves, 'Gosh, this hall will never end, will it?' She chuckled to herself before the voices of two males approached her general direction.

Panic invaded her senses and on spotting a wooden table, she did the first thing that came to mind; duck. Through all her jumbled thoughts one seemed to stand out, 'Why would there be a table in the middle of the hall? Man, these people are weird.'

Soon two pairs of feet stopped coincidentally in front of the table she was hiding under. From the feet shapes, they were definitely men. Not that she was looking, how weird would that be?

She resolved to hold her breath for as long as they stayed there but the mention of 'A human in the village who had been arrested' almost made her scream. 'Is that why I was arrested? Who told the guards? Maybe... No, The Blues wouldn't do that...right?'

It was not long when she heard the shuffling of feet as they continued walking. Alyssa cautiously peeked out from under the table, her messy hair being the epitome of a rat's hideout.

After her elusive attempts to tame it, she trod on, occasionally stopping to let some guards to pass. In mere minutes, she was at the ominous oak doors of what seemed to be a castle but that was the least of her problems.

'How to get out...' She mused before deciding to walk through the doors as though she belonged there. She was surprisingly right, as no one even batted an eyelid at her presence. 'Gosh, this is almost too easy.' She cheered loudly in her head, mentally giving her back a hard pat, 'Goodbye and good riddance.'

Without hesitance, she jumped into a slow moving cart, and willed herself not to sneeze as the scratchy hay that filled the wagon scratched at her nose. Luckily, she managed to survive the inspection and soon was heading into the streets of the kingdom with only a bird's nest on her head and a pink nose.

Before the cart strayed too far from the hidden entrance to the kingdom, she jumped out, barely managing to not break her neck, and followed the throng of people exiting the kingdom looking like anything but abberants.

Filled with vigor, she headed to the forest entrance before halting. Her face was drained from all its color and something seemed to dawn on her.

'Gosh! I forgot about Aunt Emerald. She's surely going to kill me. I guess I can meet Sapphire tomorrow...well, if she hasn't double-crossed me.'