The Fourth World

1. Fintan 

Are you sure it’s the right time to take him? He’s immature.

He’s more insecure than immature, and you know that is one of the side effects of-

You think they are involved?

I’m sure of it. And if we put him in the school, we’ll be able to watch him closely.

But so will they.

They’re doing that already.

Poor kid. 

“Cough it up little boy, or I’ll put my fist down your throat,” growled Brian Delaney. It probably wasn’t possible to do, but Fintan figured Delaney would still try, so he didn’t argue.   Besides, with his arm twisted painfully behind his back, and remembering prior times with the bully, he decided it was best not to fight back.

“Right coat pocket,” he croaked.

Delaney threw him to the ground and pushed his knee into Fintan’s back while rummaging through his pockets. He pulled his hand out and inspected his prize.

“Only 3 Euro? Mommy’s getting cheap with lunch money for her precious boy, isn’t she?”

“It’s all I have.” 

The response was Delaney’s knee driven harder into his back. Lights blinked in Fintan’s eyes and a hot flash of pain burned through his back.

“Speak when you are spoken to, you little maggot,” said Delaney. “It’ll have to do.”  Roughly, he pushed off Fintan as he stood up, causing another bolt of pain to shoot down Fintan’s back. He sneered, and as Fintan tried to get up, Delaney kicked him in the arm, dropping him to the ground again.

“You can stay here until I’m gone. Little maggot. Little worm can crawl on the ground.”

When it was safe to do so, Fintan got up and dusted himself off. He inspected his school uniform. Nothing ripped or pulled. He sighed with relief. There was no visible evidence of the incident he would have to explain to teachers or parents. They said he should always report bullying and they said he would be protected, but they had no idea what the repercussions of snitching would be. It was easier to lose the money and leave things as they were.

Afternoon classes were miserable for Fintan. He wasn’t sure which was worst between the pain in his back, the hunger in his stomach or the smug grin from Delaney who licked his lips and patted his belly thanking Fintan for the free lunch. After what seemed like an eternity, the bell rang, and Fintan grabbed his backpack and ran for the door. If he wasn’t quick the bullies might find him again. 

He ran all the way home.

***

Fintan always loved late summer and early autumn in Ireland. The nights were cool with clear skies, and if he stayed up late enough, he could see the stars in all their glory. He had just finished dinner and came out to sit in the fields behind his house. He watched the sky darken and change through its brilliant colors, from dark blue, through rusty reds and finally to black. His favorite part was when he got to watch the stars twinkle into view one by one.

His back still hurt, but he decided not to let it bother him. 

His chest tightened as looked at the sky and one by one the stars began to shine. Polaris to the North was bright as always. He imagined generations of sailors looking up to it, comforted by its presence and its stability, always showing them the way home.  A feeling welled up in his chest. It felt like he was inflating and the sky was lifting him up. He couldn’t name the sensation but he loved it. It was like the stars were calling to him. Like he belonged there, but was stuck here on Earth.