Chapter Six: Mistakes & Bad Boys

Dear Diary
It's been exactly one day since I became friends with the Heathers and already I'm wondering if I made a mistake. Betty probably hates me for abandoning her. And I'm pretty sure they don't even like me, they just keep me around so they can use me for my forging skills. I don't even want to know what they're going to make me do. But for the first time ever I'm popular. Maybe things won't be so bad, maybe I'm overreacting.

"Veronica." I looked up from where I was sitting on the stairwell to see Heather Macnamara. As preppy as usual with a bright yellow tank top and a pair of blue jeans in the dark color of new denim. "Heather's looking for you, she says to get your ass in the cafeteria."

I rolled my eyes.

Heather Duke stepped out from behind Macnamara, tucking her ginger hair behind her ear. "Yeah, she wanted to ask you something."

"Okay," I said, closing my dairy and standing to walk with them into the cafeteria.

Heather was talking to a group of football players, her hair held back in a ponytail, as usual. She turned around when she heard us coming.

She smiled. "Veronica, I need a note in Ram Sweeney's handwriting."

With a look of confusion, I ripped a page out of a notebook in my bag.

"She needs something to write on... Heather, bend over." Chandler flicked her hand at Duke, who doubled.

"I could just... use the table?"

Heather didn't respond and Heather Duke didn't stand straight so I went ahead and put the sheet of paper on her back. Then I waited for Heather's instructions.

"Hey, I've been thinking about us like the old days. My homecoming party is in a few weeks and I'd be thrilled if you could come. Signed, Ram." She paused, making sure I'd got it all before adding, "put an x o after the signature."

"What's this for?" I asked, finishing the signature.

She picked it up and folded it neatly. "We will be giving this to Martha Dunnstock. She's going to freak."

"Wait," I protested, "I don't have anything against Martha."

"You don't have anything for her, either." Heather went to give Martha the fake note.

I reached to grab it and she turned back to face me, her hair swinging behind her. "Are we going to have a problem?"

I swallowed. "No, Heather."

I watched helplessly as Heather Chandler dropped the fake note onto Martha Dunnstock's lunch tray. She and the other Heathers laughed quietly to themselves. But I didn't find it funny.

I sighed and went to get my own tray, staring at the ground, when I bumped into someone in front of me. My breath rushed out of my lungs, causing me to give a weak gasp and letting out an apology as I looked up.

His brown eyes sparkled. "Don't worry about it," he said, holding out a hand for me to shake. "You a Heather?"

I smiled and shook his hand. "No. I'm a Veronica."

He gave a half smile. "Well, greetings and salutations, Veronica....?"

"Sawyer."

"Veronica Sawyer," he finished, grinning. His messy dark hair fell in his face, giving him a shaggy, awkward look. His black tee shirt had a band logo on it for some band I'd never heard of in my life. All of his clothes hung baggily on his skinny frame.

He turned to leave. "Wait," I said. Mystery Kid looked back over his shoulder. "I didn't catch your name?"

"I didn't throw it." He smirked and kept walking.