Chapter Twenty-five.🟢

Start from the beginning

She was his Sophia, Princess Sophia.

The King and Queen took note of her presence as she graciously curtsied in their presence. The Queen was not fazed by the visit, which meant she called for her. When they were younger, Queen Artemis warned them they could only appear in the throne room when called upon. Princess Sophia stood up and the approval on the Prince's face mirrored the King's.

"Your brother has returned," the Queen told the princess.

"Welcome home Prince." Princess Sophia said shyly, taking a glance at him and turning back to the throne.

Zachary creased his brows. That was odd. Sophia was never shy and why could she not look him in the eye? He noticed during her procession that she avoided eye contact. So much has changed since he left.

"I see you have grown well, Princess Sophia. You are indeed beautiful, just like I predicted." the Prince said and smiled.

"Of course she is, you both took after me but Sophia has a little of the Queen's rare beauty." the King said proudly.

Princess Sophia blushed slightly but regained her expressionless demeanour soon enough.

"Zachary, your mother is right," the King said. "The girl has to go back home to her family, but since you say she saved your life, she can stay as long as she wishes to,"

The prince bowed his head low, hiding his present emotion, which was something huge considering that his heart was pushing to jump out of his chest. He wished he could expect Cora to be happy with the news, but he knew better. Cora loved her father so much that he could feel it in the way she talked about him. If anything, he dreaded the moment he would have to tell her.

"You say she is bereft," Queen Artemis started. "When she has finished mourning, invited her to a meal with us, I have to study her more. Though she appears a commoner, her features tell otherwise."

"As you wish, my Queen." the prince replied with a bow.

"You are both dismissed."

They both turned in silence and processed out of the hall. When they were halfway out, the King's voice stopped them.

"Zachary, do find time for that duel you promised," he said.

"As you wish, Father."

As they walked out of the throne room, he tried as much as possible to close the distance between him and Princess Sophia, but for some odd reason, she was bent on getting out of the halls as fast as she could. Prince Zachary eventually gave up trying to catch up with her, he would talk to her either way.

The guards closed the huge doors after he stepped out, though far out he could feel his mother's eyes on him. She would focus on him more now. He needed to be careful. He scanned the hallway to see that Princess Sophia was nowhere in sight.

He sighed deeply and kept walking, ignoring the soldiers standing at attention in one straight line on both sides of the hallway. Turk walked up to him, his sword clutching tightly in his hand to escort him. He would visit Cora, and then find Princess Sophia later.

The Prince walked down the balls south, Turk behind him in silence. Turk knew he was in no good mood and did not try to start up a conversation. The look on Prince Zachary's face told him exactly how the sermon went. Turk understood the Prince he cared for him and he also pitied him.

A red figure ahead of them made Turk raise his head. She passed him on his way to escort Zachary. She walked surprisingly fast for a little lady. Turk noticed the change in the prince's walking pace.

He knew her.

Turk loosened his hold on his sword and took to studying the beautiful girl a few feet away from them, but she did not wait for them to reach her. She ran, lifting her dress up with her hands. This shocked both him and the prince, forcing them to the spot they stood.