“Oh, I’m sorry,” she laughed, joining him. “Someone rang me up in a panic this morning you see, demanding I get on the next flight to Paris.”

“Aw shut yer gob, Powell.” He smiled again, this time tongue in cheek, and leered at her.

She cupped his cheeks, giggling. “I hate it when you do that. Stop it.”

“No you don’t.” He planted a sloppy kiss on her lips, which made her laugh even harder.

******************************************************************************

“I’m sorry, darling. It’s my bloody stomach again,” she crawled into their enormous bed beside him. “I wish we could have stayed out a bit later.”

It was the very first night of their honeymoon in Paris. Exhausted from a rough start to the journey due to a persistent stomach bug and a very long day of sightseeing, she couldn’t keep up any longer. They had reluctantly returned to the room after dinner.

He wrapped his arm around her and kissed her temple. “Stop apologizing, Powell.”

She kicked him softly under the sheets. “It’s Lennon to you.”

“Yes,” he smiled. “Me lovely wife.”

“Was today alright, then? Are you happy?” she asked quietly.

“Fuckin’ brilliant. I love being here with you, Cyn. Honestly.” Moving his arm, he turned over to face her. “And yes, I’m happy,” he said seriously. “I’m just sorry it took me this fuckin’ long to take you away.”

“It hasn’t exactly been easy, has it?” She looked down.

“You know what the group means to me. I’m doin’ what needs to be done with it all, you know. It’s our fuckin’ meal ticket, luv. It’s our big break.”His tone became defensive.

“I know,” she sighed. “I know that. I’m not trying to make you feel guilty. I love you and I’m doing what needs to be done, too, John. You know I’ll do whatever I need to do to help you. You deserve all of this, love.”

“It’ll get easier.” Softening, he moved closer to her, kissing her shoulder. “We’ll have so much money we won’t know what to bloody do with it. Imagine the kind of life we can give Julian? It’ll be a long way from what we had in Liverpool and Hoylake.”

 “Do you think we’ll move to London soon?”

“Sooner than you think, girl.” He ran his hand up her leg under her nightie.“Yer me girl don’t forget. Where I go, you go.”

And she believed him.

They were so naïve.

******************************************************************************

Emotionally charged from her dream, it took Cynthia a few minutes to realize where she was. She leaned over her ex, who was sleeping soundly beside her, to see what time it was.

The clock read 4:30 a.m. The light and telly were still on; they hadn’t even heard room service come up and must have fallen asleep almost immediately.

“John,” she shook him softly. “John, wake up.”

“Stop yer moanin’…” he grumbled sleepily, reaching over and turning the light off  on the nightstand beside him without even so much as lifting his head. “Switch the bloody telly off, will ya?”