Chapter Four

It was a year into their affair and Cynthia was totally and completely head-over-heels in love with her ex-husband.

Looking out into the garden, she smiled at the sight of him attempting to play football with their eight year old son. As far as Julian and everyone else was concerned, it was just a typical parental visit. They’d been outside for the past hour, knocking the ball about. So far, so good; the only victim - a ceramic pot of chrysanthemums that sat on the patio. Sports had never been John’s strong suit.

“Goal!” Julian shouted excitedly, both arms in the air.

“Not a chance. That was off sides!” John walked over to his son and crossed his arms as he towered over him. “It’s nil nil,” he said with a deadpan expression.

 “No it’s not, Dad!” Julian giggled, playing pushing his young father back. “You weren’t even watching!”

Cynthia leaned forward over the sink, pushing the window up and open, inhaling the cool evening air. She closed her eyes briefly, savoring the soft breeze against her cheek and the sounds of laughter, of family.

“Alright you two, it’s time to come in. Julian, you need to have a bath and sort yourself out for bed.”

“It’s only half seven! It’s still light out!”

“By the time you get that bum into bed it’ll be nearer nine. The summer’s nearly over, love, and the days are getting shorter. This time next week it’ll be dark, you know.”

John laughed when Julian stomped his foot and defiantly marched out of the garden and into the kitchen, storming past Cyn in silence. He followed behind his son and into the house, lighting a cig.

“Silent treatment. That’s one of yer moves, y’know. ” He smirked, shutting the door behind him.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” she laughed.

He pulled her into his arms and kissed her forehead. “Today was a good day. I loved it.”

Not today, John. Me. Me and Julian. You’re supposed to say you love me and Julian.

“Me, too.” Patting his back, she looked up at him. “Look, John. There’s something I should tell you. I need to be honest and say that I’m…”

“DAD!”

I’m madly in love with you, and I miss you when you’re not here. We both do. Can’t this be our second chance?

“Oh for Christ’s sake,” John sighed, glancing to the ceiling. “WHAT!”

We were young and stupid. We didn’t know what we had. The Beatles…that life…it destroyed us.

“I need help with the bath! Please come help me?”

I miss you so much. Seeing you with Yoko breaks my heart.

“Can you tell me in a bit?” he asked, turning back to her. “I’ll go sort him out.”

“Sure, yes of course.”

“Right. Wish me luck, then.” He kissed her quickly and left the kitchen.

******************************************************************************

Cynthia yawned and rested her head on her husband’s shoulder in the back of their enormous Rolls Royce and closed her eyes. The car had transported six people earlier that evening to the HELP! premiere in Central London and she was relieved to be alone with him now. Despite the after-party being in full swing, he suggested they head home early.