"First off," he began the moment I shut the door "I heard about what happened on the weekend. Are you ok? If you need more time off to recover then let me know and I'll organise to have your shifts covered."

John was a hard boss to work for. He always pushed his staff for perfection, or as close as a person can come, and it resulted in a thriving business. But he also cared about everyone that worked for him and he was always fair.

"Thank you. But I promise you, after spending a day and a half in the hospital, I am perfectly healthy again." I said as I smiled.

"I actually thought you'd snuck off to get those shoddy eyes looked at for a second there. You look so different without those glasses." John admitted.

"Ok, onto the second point. You need to let me know what your plans are now that you've finished high school. While you are a great at this job and there will always be a place for you here, I believe it would be wasted on someone of your budding talents."

"You don't have to tell me now, but please let me know what your plans are when you've figured everything out."

After delivering his speech John dismissed me by telling me to get to work.

Thankfully my shift passed really fast and before I knew it I was in Rhys's police car. He had picked me up to take me to the station.

"Pretty please?" I asked Rhys while putting on my best puppy dog eyes.

"No Violet, you may not play with the sirens. Besides the fact that it's horribly illegal and I will lose my job for it. Knowing you, you'd use it to scare the shit out of innocent people walking by."

I sighed in frustration. "You know me too well Rhys." At least the police cruiser is tinted so I don't have to worry about finding sunglasses immediately.

As we pulled into the police station I couldn't help but drool a bit as I admired the red Ferrari parked in the visitors spot. I loved fast cars and the sight of the exquisite piece of engineering in front of me made me sad that I didn't have a car of my own yet.

"One thing at a time Violet." I said to myself. Cars are stupidly expensive after all.

Pulling me away from my small love affair with the Ferrari, Rhys guided me into the station and helped me through the process of making a formal statement about the incident over the weekend.

Once all the descriptions and paperwork were out of the way I was asked if I'd allow the perpetrator to make a formal apology to me.

"It's show time." I thought to myself as I gave the policewoman the ok. She signalled for me to follow her and led me to a conference room. Inside where two other policemen and what I can only assume to be the perpetrator judging by his vampiric fangs. Which were exposed as he smiled.

He was an older gentleman. I'd guess him to be somewhere in his 50's with hair that was mostly grey, brown eyes and a soft smile that almost made you believe he was incapable of doing that to someone else.

"Hi," he greeted me. "My name is Jamie Lawson and thank you for agreeing to give me this chance to make amends. Please sit down." He gestured to the chair across the table from him.

All the speeches and witty remarks I had prepared throughout the day became childlike and vanished in the face of Mr Lawson's polite and respectful way of talking.

As I had been rendered almost speechless, which is a rare occurrence believe me, I had no choice but to silently sit down like he asked of me.

"I'm not here to try and convince you of my innocence." Mr Lawson began. "It's an undeniable fact that my actions have caused you suffering. Whether or not I remember these actions does not change that."

"Ok, not what I was expecting at all." I thought to myself as Mr Lawson paused and I gave him a small nod to continue.

"I hereby give my sincere apology for my actions. I would also like to present you with a gift, compensation if you prefer. For all the pain, stress and heartache I've put you and you loved ones through."

This time I felt my mouth drop open in amazement. "That's really kind of you but your apology is enough." I stuttered, vaguely aware that this conversation was so very far from what I had originally planned.

"That's very sweet of you but this is to help myself as much as it is to help you. I can't believe my own actions and I won't be able to rest well until I've done enough to make up for them." Mr Lawson stated. "How about we go and take a look before you make up your mind Miss Violet?"

I was confused about many things relating to Mr Lawson but I knew that I didn't want gifts or money. If he just worked on himself and made sure the past didn't repeat itself I would be happy. But I had a feeling he wouldn't be happy until he'd shown me his 'gift'.

"Ok, show me this present. But I promise you that I'm not going to want it." I said.

He smiled to himself before replying "Well if you'd please do me the honour of coming with me I won't waste anymore time." He said as he got up and held the door to the conference room open.

"Ladies first." He said as I walked through the door wondering what in the world his present could be that required us to leave the room.

I guess I'll find out soon.