The Beginning (Final Chapter)

As soon as (Your Name) heard the panicked shouts and cries from within the room, she immediately barged into the room. Time began to slow down, the only sound that could be heard, that cursed flatline from the monitor. Before she had a moment to react the rushing doctors ushered them out of the room quickly before anything became erratic. That's when (Your Name) reacted almost immediately, she almost managed to charge into the room again Hatty grabbed her waist to prevent her from going any further than she was aloud to. She instantly began to struggle and scream out to her father "DADDY!!!!". She began to cry violently as she stopped struggling, she then accepted the embrace from from Hatty who pulled her shaking body close to his chest. Which she then cried into his chest instead, each time there was no response after each shock from the chest paddles it made her cry even harder. 15 minutes went by of them attempting to restart her fathers heart before the finally said it was no good. (Your Name) jumped to sobbing to hysterical. 'He's gone!' She thought 'He's really, really gone! What am I going to tell mom!!' Her mind continued racing with heavy thoughts that would forever plague her mind until the end of the day.

That was a few hours ago anyways, (your name), hatty, and John all sat together in silence, neither person choosing to speak. At the time it wasn't exactly the best moment to say anything. The awkwardness lingered in the room making it uncomfortably silent, well besides the hustle and bustle of a typical hospital. (Your Name) decided to break it, she spoke up with a cracking in her voice, though it was more a mumble "what am I going to tell mom you guys........". Her eyes lingered on the white tile when the two boys looked at each other in uncertainty, John gestures for him to same something since he's the optimist or advice guru. Hatty turns his eyes back to her and responds with "maybe we should tell her the truth, no hiding the truth from her because she has the right to know about her spouse, and it's better that she hears it from her daughter rather than the hospital right?"

She looks around the hospital, then back at Hatty "your right, b-but maybe not here? Too many listening ears." Hatty nods giving her a comforting smile "fair enough". The group them collects all their things and leave the hospital to go to (your names) home. Though part of the way there John lets them know he has something to take care of at home, mainly to give the couple some space. (Your name) hugs him thanking him for his moral support. John smiles warmly nodding, after the final set of goodbyes they set on there own paths home.

(Your Name) sighs softly hugging Hatty's arm close to her chest for the last bit of the trip home. He looks at the solemn expression on her face and decides to strike up a little conversation with her on the short trip home. "So...." (Your Name) jumps a little as if she was lost in her train of thought again "y-yes?". She smiles a little now that he has her full attention. "Did you get some time to think of what you were going to tell your mom?" She hesitate for a moment before responding "s-sort of, u-usually heavy conversations like that never usually sit well with mom, but I'm hoping we can have a serious conversation when I break the news to her at least" she says as they come to the front door of her home. "But in all seriousness, I'm prepared for what I'm going to tell her, as long as your there with me". His heart flutters a little "of course! I'll always be here for you whenever you need me, and you can count on it", (Your Name) smiles before looking at her phone thinking 'we'll.....here I go..."

She pressed the call button on her phone as they enter the home and locking the door behind them. When she pressed the speaker to her ear

It rang.........

And rang..........

Before a click of the phone being picked up was heard.

A soft warm voice was heard form the other end as if they were delighted to hear from her "(Your Name)! I'm so happy to hear from you? How's my baby girl?" (Your Name) bit her lip looking at Hatty for a brief moment as they entered the living room, he nods to her as if telling her again that he's here for her.  "C-could be better, I-I guess...", "I guess?" Thought your dad would be home cheering you up? Isn't he home right now?" She asks quizzically. (Your Name) sat on the sofa "well a-about that......." she says rubbing her neck nervously, she immediately started showering her with questions wondering what in the world her daughter could mean by that statement "w-well you see d-dad found out he had stage 4 cancer and h-he........" before she could finish she began to cry "Your not saying he.....?" She nods "m-mhm" Hatty hugged (Your Name) close while she held the phone to her ear sobbing like she did at the hospital.

"Oh g-god" her mom choked out "o-oh my god" then her mother began to cry.

It was a long half hour of crying between the two women, once they managed to calmed down her mother said "I-i guess I-I'm taking an early trip h-home" she laughed painfully. "Y-your are going to be okay u-until I get h-home right?" She croaked out.  (Your Name) nodded "ill be fine, I got my boyfriend with me to keep me company" her mother gasps and giggles saying "don't do anything I wouldn't do~" she sang. (Your Name) turned beet red in embarrassment "m-mom!!! I'm not that bad!!" A laugh soon followed on the other end " I'm just teasing! We need a good chuckle anyways and I couldn't help myself". (Your Name) smiled "thanks mom", the girls then wrap up their call saying their goodbyes before hanging up.

(Your Name) then places the phone on her coffee table and cuddles up to Hatty, she enjoys the warmth he emits from his body and she enjoys his presence. "Thank you, you've been the biggest comfort all day you know that?" He chuckles softly hugging her closer to his body. "I thought that was what 'boyfriends' were for?" She laughs smacking his chest "your bad!" He smiles "it made you smile again didn't it?"

She smiles more returning to the snuggle position staring out the window. "Yes......something you did well before I met you". Then sun slowly began to set and the stars began to appear one by one in the sky, he turns his gaze to the view outside with he still holding a smile. He noticed one such star stood out the brightest and he pointed to it making her turn her gaze to the star. "He made it home" a lone tear rolled down he cheek. Hatty kisses her cheek lovingly as she snuggled close to his chest more as she started to softly cry again "he's letting you know that know matter what he's always watching over his family".

'Welcome home Dad'

The End