Review #4: My Best Friend's Brother

Note for dreamer319, please don't take this review personally. I really hope you try to use this review as an advantage for you and as piece of advice. I am not attacking you by this. No hate xx

Review #4: My Best Friend’s Brother

*Status: Ongoing*

Some stories leave you out of words; some in a good way and the others... well you can say they’re that bad.

As I started reading this book, again, the outcome was too predictable – to a point, which is the same story line where the girl who’s always bullied, the perfect unnoticed girl falls for the mentally disturbed sexy lad; in which is Harry Styles in this case.

I honestly feel sorry for Harry because he’s always portrayed as the mentally disturbed unemotionally stable abusive control freak in fanfics. However, in this story the twist was that he ran away from a mental institution. Here’s a cheers for the writer to making a point different from the other fan fictions. In addition to how the other characters are described; Zayn is always the bad boy and Niall is always the food-obsessed weirdo.   

Nevertheless, I won’t deny that this story is definitely full of surprise elements. Like, who expects a person to faint from a broken leg and people were afraid she’d die, but when she is shot (oops, spoiler alert?) she just falls from the pain and in no time she gets better to the extent where she can run “kinda”?! The plot twists are there, but they are far near realistic. I get it that it’s supposed to be fiction, but fiction is still genuine.

In addition to the rape situations, they’re over exaggerated, especially the one in school. Who would attempt rape in a school’s corridor? Honey, at least drag her to the janitor’s room, and stifle her screams? Or take her somewhere out of site.

The events escalate quickly… too quickly, and again too unrealistically.

As I write my reviews I try my best to pinpoint the pros and cons in a book without putting any spoilers for the readers, but I need to use events at some points to support my opinion; so don’t hate on me for putting bloopers.

“I’m Alison I’m 16 years old. I’m not the kind of girl that wears high heels or dresses unless they come with sneakers. I like skateboarding and I am in love with Harry.”  I get that she’s introducing herself, but why include the part about the dresses and high heels? Those are totally irrelevant. There is no shame if a girl wears high heels and has a feminine side; she is a girl. Yeah boys like girls who are not too girly and all, some would like swaggy girls. If that’s what you’re trying to point out, well you don’t need to impress a guy this way. There are a lot of girls that are like that; this doesn’t make a girl stand out. I had to clarify this point because it’s being too misinterpreted.

Let’s not start with the ages; she is 16 and he is 20. Mr. Pedo, is that you? C’mon this is not the Middle East. And what 16 year old doesn’t have parents? Okay I get why Cheryl’s parents aren’t there (a vacation for one year; ridiculous huh?), it’s been stated. But where are Alison’s parents?

Finally, there was a lot of redundancy, grammatical and spelling mistakes. Not to mention there was no parallelism, and the no subject verb agreement.

I don’t mean to discourage you, just take those as assistance to enhance your writing. Good luck with further books.

Thank you xx