Chapter Twenty-One

Hermione awoke with a start, not quite realizing why until Draco pulled her close to him again. She could see that the sun was only just beginning to rise through the window.

"How long have you been awake?"

"Most of the night."

"Really? I'm so sorry Draco I should have stayed up with you." Hermione's stomach dropped.

He turned towards her and gave her a half smile "Don't worry about it. I enjoyed watching you sleep." She took his hand and entwined their fingers, "and there is actually a lot on my mind," he continued. "The entire trial yesterday, speaking to my parents which I never thought I would do again... I've been thinking about my trial a lot too." He added slowly, in a reluctant tone.

"I missed your trial, you know, I was busy looking for my parents during the summer. I didn't even know it took place until school started. I meant to look it up and read up on what happened but the closer we became," she motioned with her hand between the two of them, "the more it seemed like an invasion of privacy."

Draco smirked "you Gryffindors are just too good and noble. I've told you before what happened. Potter and Professor McGonagall saved me." He sighed, rubbing his hand up and down on her arm. Slowly tracing lines over her forearm where he knew her scar laid hidden under her shirt. "After the trial, I spoke with Professor McGonagall briefly. she assured me I was to be on my best behaviour once returning to school. I remember her exact words: 'The Malfoy name is synonymous now with being a Death Eater. For the first time in your life you will understand what it is like to be judged based on something you have no control over. It is also the first time that you can no longer depend on your name, blood status or family money. This is your chance to actually make something of yourself. I hope you don't waste it.'

"She was right, you know. All summer long, wizards and witches would see me and start yelling at me or even try to hex me. I took to hiding out in our manor as much as possible until school started. I still receive threatening letters every day, and you can tell from our roommates behaviour towards me that nothing has really changed."

"Then you have to make it change!" Hermione said earnestly.

He smiled at her determination and naivety over the situation and shrugged. Hermione took his chin in her hands and forced him to look into her eyes. "Draco, you have changed. Look at everything that has happened this year. Look at us!" she blushed "the old Draco would never have considered this," she motioned towards their entwined bodies. "You have changed," she proclaimed earnestly. He shrugged brushing off her comments. There was a long pause when she realized he wasn't going to respond. She wanted him to keep talking. She wanted to hear everything. His hopes, dreams, fears. "What else did Professor McGonagall say?" she prompted softly.

"Not much. She took responsibility for me and my actions this year. The Ministry was very clear that if I stepped one toe out of line, I'd be back in Azcaban faster than a niffler who's picked up the scent of gold."

Hermione remembered something, "is that why you've never got into any fights this year? When we were in Hogsmeade and Ron was threatening you, you never pulled out your wand." She scrunched up her face as something else became clear, "even at the beginning of the year when Ernie was threatening you, you never pulled out your wand."

He nodded, with a half-smile, "I'd love to tell you it's just because I've become a bigger person but there is no way I'm going to back to Azcaban for Weasley or MacMillan."

"What was Azcaban like?" she asked softly.

Draco had a hollow, vacant look and Hermione immediately wished she could take back that question. Draco obviously didn't want to answer "I'll tell you some other time Hermione. For now, we'd better get up and to breakfast, if we don't want to miss any classes today." Hermione's eyes widened as she realized the time before jumping up and running around her room frantically getting ready.