Synopsis

Hazel and Lyndon have absolutely nothing in common. Lyndon's the university's track star and a junior on his way to becoming a physician. Hazel's a freshman with a bright mind and an ugly past. Despite his intelligence, Hazel needs to get a Physical Education credit to pass for the year and when his roommate, the all-star athlete, offers to help him, he accepts—albeit begrudgingly. Little does he know, Lyndon has more in mind for Hazel than a simple athletic credit. 

        Horrible things are at play in Lyndon Goldman's mind and Hazel Gray's last hope is thinking his way out of this one before something sinister works its way in. Each year, the upperclassmen of Bernard Diamond's School of Mastery become mentors to the underclassmen. They mold their mentee to take their place in the future, but academics aren't the only things they're learning. 

        After their time as mentees, the underclassmen get to take over as mentors. Their relationship with their mentors usually ends there, and despite all that will go on between them, it isn't likely that they will develop a lasting connection--or even keep in touch with their past mentors after graduation. Though everyone knows the mentorship program is far from solely academic in nature, there remain two very important rules: don't kill anyone, and don't let anyone find out if you do.