15. All actions have consequences

Start from the beginning

"Of course. I should have known."

 As promised, Olivia arrives in five minutes, and holds out her hand. There, glittering on her finger, is an engagement ring.

END OF MAJOR EIGHTH YEAR FLASHBACK

As I tell my tale to Severus in short form, I leave him out of it. It would be tragic if he knew. The things that would happen...

I would have messed time up big time.

He raises his eyebrows at the part where I nearly die, and claps quietly when I'm done. He furrows his eyebrows suddenly.

"So you're from the future."

"Who said that?"

"Those things haven't happened yet. Nobody's had an eighth year at Hogwarts before, and I know you went to Hogwarts. You wouldn't know this place so well if you hadn't."

"You got me, Baby Bird. Just don't get angry at me because I can't change anything. I just came back to meet someone, and I'm stuck here."

"Are we related? Am I your grandfather? Is that why you reacted how you did when I said you're like a mother to me?"

"Not quite. I'm not allowed to say anything, Baby Bird. I'm sorry, sweetie."

"I'm glad you came back. Did you come to meet Hazel?"

"She just decided to come with me. I bet she came for Sirius."

"Sirius Black?"

"I have some spare anti-ageing potions. She'll be wanting them soon enough."

"Of course. Why?"

"She was too young back in the future. She's always had a thing for him."

"So who did you come back for?"

"Myself. I didn't realise it was me until you asked my name."

"So who are you really?"

I look away. "Just a wanderer passing through."

"What?"

"I'm kidding. I couldn't resist saying that. I can't tell you who I am. You'll figure it out. Now off to bed, it's late."

"Okay. Just so you know, I'll keep asking until you tell me."

"I tried that on someone once. I still don't know what she was talking about." I say sadly. "Chelsea never ended up telling me."

"And who's Harry?"

"You really don't want to know. Trust me."

"If you say so. Goodnight."

"Sleep well, Baby Bird. And try not to dwell on Lily too much. It happens to the best of us."

"Okay."

"Okay."

"Is that something from your time?"

"Yes."

"Okay."

He smiles a bit, then leaves. I apparate into Dumbledore's office.

"Albus, I have an idea."

"What?"

"I'm going to save your life."

"You came back for only one reason. That was to meet that person that helped your father through school."

"That was me, though. Anyway, I felt really guilty about just watching you die. Please?"

"It would change the course of time."

"Not if you go into hiding until the end of the books. Anyway, I heard rumours of you travelling after I got out of school. People said they'd seen you."

"So it was meant to happen?"

"Yes. I have the perfect idea."

"Yes?"

I tell him the plan, and he nods.

"Complicated, but it will work. We will need Hazel."

"Yes, we will. So it's a yes?"

"Yes. I will just have to say no to the younger you."

"Perfect."

()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()

The next year passes uneventfully, except for the occasional muggle murder. Severus comes to me constantly, and I help him create his spell. It involves a lot of reading up on Latin words.

In Severus's seventh year, I give him a gold watch for his birthday. An old, traditional watch. This is what I've been saving my money from The Three Broomsticks up for.

"How much did it cost you?"

"Nothing is too much for family."

"So we are related?"

"I never said we weren't. Just not by blood."

He sits in silence for a while. "By marriage?"

I snort. "No. Wow, that's a major age gap." I laugh. "I can't believe you actually said that."

"I was guessing. Anyway, that makes no sense."

"It will."

()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()

Since Severus has left school, he's been sucked into the world of dark magic. I try my best to stop him, but he's persistent. He claims he finally belongs.

Apparently now he has a family.

"So now I'm not family?" I ask. "That's the thanks I get? I broke a lot of time rules to come back here. I even told you more than I should have. For what? Family, that's what."

"I didn't mean it like that!"

I look at the ground, unable to look at him. "Then what did you mean?"

"Sometimes you just shut me out. These people don't."

"That's because they're evil, and want you to be like them! Don't fall for their tricks! You'll regret it."

"Please just accept it."

"I can't accept Voldysnort."

"Don't call him that."

"Severus, you're nearly twenty-one. You're about to make a big mistake."

"I know what I'm doing!" He yells. "Stop controlling me!"

"Fine! I'll just let you do this!" I shout back. "You'll regret it." I say quietly.

"You keep saying that."

"I need to get out and clear my head. I'll be there at Halloween if you want me to be."

"Wh-what's going to happen?"

"All actions have consequences."

"What does that mean?"

"I can't." I turn into Snowy and fly into the night, not looking back.

_________________________________

This is probably the part where all the happy-go-lucky ends.

Don't look at the screen like that, it was going to happen.

QOTC: dogs or cats?

Please vomment!

~Ericano