He leaned over the armrest between us and kissed my lips. It only lasted a second before he pulled back and brought both hands back on the steering wheel.

"Hey," I said as the car began to move. "You look good."

He chuckled. "Thanks."

"What's funny?" I asked, smiling back at his reaction.

He shook his head. "Nothing."

"Weirdo," I muttered.

"Do you want to stop by my place first?" he asked, glancing down at my wet clothes.

"I don't know if I have any decent clothes there," I said, returning to my phone and scrolling through social media.

A couple of friends were posting about the farewell party. It wasn't going to be big, just a few close friends. We didn't have a lot of friends anyway.

Dorian and I were a special case. We started freshman year together in Lincoln High and clicked instantly. Dorian was the only black guy in the entire school, and to my knowledge, I was the only gay guy. Nobody wanted to partner up with either of us, so we'd always end up together. It was a small town filled with small minds. And honestly? I couldn't have been happier with how things turned out. I met one of the greatest people in the world and avoided joining the herd of sheep.

"I know there's something," Chance said. "You wore this nice outfit once when we went out on a date. Do you remember?"

"I don't recall."

"Well, it's in my closet. You could wear that?"

"Sure."

Chance's apartment wasn't too far from mine. It was a quick drive. He lived alone in a fancy five story building. His parents paid for all of his expenses — as long as he stayed in college. He was a freshman, so he had plenty of time to drop out once he realized how much it sucked.

I began to peel my clothes off as soon as we walked inside. Chance disappeared into his closet to search for the outfit and I went into the bathroom. I was supposed to get ready at my own apartment before the party started, but someone had to be late on picking me up.

It sucked relying on someone to drive you around, but my car broke down and died. There was no way to repair it without dropping a bunch of cash on it, only to wait for it to break again and waste more. I was saving up to buy a better one. Until then, Chance was my personal chauffeur.

An awful one.

The shower was quick and I stood in front of the bathroom mirror, staring at my reflection, wondering what I was going to do about my hair. Chance called it "pretty boy hair" because it made me look like a beautiful prince. It was somewhat long and usually tucked behind my ears. But other times it was a natural wild mess.

"Babe?" Chance said as he entered the bathroom

"Yeah?" I replied.

"Got your clothes."

"Lay them on the bed," I said as I picked up my toothbrush and brushed my teeth.

I decided on leaving my hair the way it was. A natural wild mess was also a good look for me. It really represented my state of being. My skin was smooth and clear. I had no facial hair to shave. I looked fine — ish.

"How was work?" Chance asked. He sat on the edge of the bed and watched me as I walked towards the clothes spread out on the bed.

Now that I saw them, I remembered the date. They weren't special clothes. I wasn't classy, more like trashy. Just a black, long-sleeved shirt and black ripped jeans.