Part 1

"It wasn't my fault!"

Peter's voice was filled with self-righteous indignation. He clutched the letter of acceptance so tightly that the paper crumpled, tearing at the edges. The other hand set down his cup of coffee untouched, contrasting strangely with Charlotte's half empty cup. He smiled at her as he spoke, the arrogance of the expression pushing her over the edge.

A bitter laugh bubbled out of Charlotte, carrying on too long. It filled the air between them, souring the atmosphere. Peter shuddered, the sound felt like a cheese grater on his skin.

"It never is." She smiled, but the smile wasn't happy or kind. Her gaze remained cold. "It wasn't your fault when you stole from Leonard's men, and told them it was me. It wasn't your fault that I had to fight to protect myself and went to juvie for two years. It wasn't your fault that every project you and I have worked on has somehow come out with only your name on it." She eyed the paper in his hand, shaking her head slowly. "And now it's not your fault that "Searching in Silence"... the book I wrote has been accepted to be published... with you as the author."

Peter stepped back, frowning. "I saw a chance and I went for it. With your record, no one will ever agree to publish you. I'll pay you some of the royalties." He gave her an easy grin, the slightly lopsided, confident expression usually enough to sway her good opinion. "Really, I'm doing YOU a favor!"

Charlotte couldn't help it, she laughed again. "Yes, let me get down on my knees and thank you for stealing my work. Your selflessness is astounding."

His eyes narrowed. "What do you want?"

"The truth to be known, my name on my own book."

"It's too late, I've already signed the contract."

"It's not too late." Charlotte frowned. "Tell them the truth."

"This is the truth now." He pointed to himself. "I am the author. A bright upstanding new writer whose future potential is limitless. You?" Peter sighed dramatically. "You are street trash, with a criminal record. No talent, no skills other than fighting... you'll amount to nothing."

"TRAITOR!" She hissed. "I fought to protect us both. If I hadn't you wouldn't be alive to steal my work."

He shrugged. "Your mistake."

"I'll tell everyone the truth."

"Go ahead, no one will believe you."

Charlotte frowned, not wanting to admit he was right. "Well if I can't convince them, I'll convince you."

"You'll never..."

"Really?" She chuckled, cracking her knuckles. "You got one thing right, I do have a talent... for fighting."

She stood up, taking a step closer to him to prepare to attack... and fell to the ground with a thud.

Peter threw back his head, laughing uncontrollably. "I can't believe you fell for that!" Standing up, he turned her over onto her back with a ginger push of his foot. "A little poison in your coffee was really all it took?"

Charlotte glanced over at her half-empty cup on the table, wincing as a wave of pain overcame her. Breaking out into a cold sweat, she tried to shake her head. "You'll never get away with this..."

"With what? Killing you?" He shrugged. "Eighteen year old girls disappear every day on this street, Charlie. Besides me, there's no one who cares enough for you to even look for your body. But don't worry..." He tapped the papers in his hand with a triumphant grin. "I'll always remember you and the contribution you gave towards jumpstarting my career."