chapter one -- X

*warning. do not proceed if you do not swear. also, this has been edited by someone who only had four hours of sleep. do not trust my grammar. i repeat, do not trust my grammar.

Chapter 1

    Crap.

    His day was not going so well.

    Ashton had just gotten kicked out of Physics for being a smart mouth to the strictest and oldest teacher in school, Ms. Raeble. Actually, let him rephrase his statement. He hadn’t gotten kicked out. He had left on his own two feet after her threat of giving him detention for two weeks straight. He couldn’t withstand the risk of getting detentions after his promotion on the soccer team as captain. As Ashton ambled down the empty hallway, he swore lowly under his breath, cursing the fucking teacher and fucking Physics. If it wasn’t for his new soccer captain title, he would’ve just...

    Still swearing, he made his way down to the abandoned storage room, picking out his cigarette box and lighter. He came to his eerie and dusty place often, mainly because no one else came down here, and it was always dry when it rained. Don’t get him wrong, he liked his intense popularity and the mob of swooning girls, but sometimes it felt relieving to get some alone time.

    He stuck a cigarette into the corner of his mouth and lighted it, taking in a deep swig before letting out the smoke through his lips. A small, satisfied groan escaped along with his cigarette smoke, leaning fully against the rickety wall. After a second or two, he brought up his hand again to take another breath from his cigarette when he saw a girl walking around the corridors. His eyebrows furrowed in confusion and he straightened his back, stepping away from the wall, dropping his cigarette hand back to his side.

    What was a girl doing around school at this time of the day? Especially on the first day?

    Ashton narrowed his eyes to get a better look at the girl.

   She was slim. Slim with an average height of what Ashton could see. Light, strawberry blonde hair whisked down her shoulders and lightly swayed as she walked, and when she turned, Ashton got a glimpse of her face. Her eyes flickered, a shade of deep grayish, stereotypical blue, but her intent gaze failed to see him lurking in the shadows. Unashamedly, his look grazed down her admirably long, fair skinned legs, his tongue swiping over his bottom lip. This girl wasn’t like all the other glamorous and skin flashing girls. She was serenely pretty, dressed in a modest, soft dove gray blouse and a white skirt. She was... How to explain it. Tentatively beautiful. That was it. She was tentatively beautiful.

    Ashton had never seen her before.

    He took a step forward, flicking the end of his cigarette and dropping it to the ground to smash the butt of it under his foot. Putting out the small fire, he continued his way toward the unknown blonde haired girl, his eyes constantly raking over her stunning appearance. Unfortunately, before he could even say a word, the girl took off in the other direction after seeing him make his way toward her.

    Stopping in his tracks, Ashton stared at her retreating figure, wondering whether to follow. He bit his bottom lip for a second, then decided to just tread off in the opposite direction. This was the first time Ashton had ever felt unconfident.

    The girl had walked away. She had walked away. From him.

    He was the womanizer. The heartbreaker. He was the definition of player, and a beautiful liar.

    And here he was, thinking of the mysterious girl sullenly after being turned down easily.

    Ashton chewed at the inside of his cheek, the fleeting image of her returning, before shaking his head. God, he was a baby. He hadn’t even seen her clearly, and already he was acting whipped.