Home

The night stars shimmered high above, resting in the dark atmosphere, and rising over the towering treetops. The cold moon hung in the sky, accompanying the small, bright lights. It was as if the air was still and lifeless. Shadows crept along the edges of trees and their branches as the only form of light glowed dimly; fire. It burned in a small pit, its flames dancing and creating a warm light to everything in the dense foliage of the trees.

A light breeze swept over the forest, rustling leaves and stirring the still air. The warm breeze dislodged a single, dry leaf, which gently fluttered from the canopy and came to rest at the snout of a light orange mare. She smiled, and looked at the slightly yellowed leaf with a joyous gleam in her eyes. Giggling, she adjusted the brown, and slightly frayed, fedora that rested atop her long blonde mane with a hoof. Applejack then lightly snorted, and this sent the leaf tumbling through the air once more, finally falling to the packed down earth of the camp site.

AJ set her gaze back upon the cyan pegasus that contentedly munched on a gooey, golden brown marshmallow. With a sigh, Applejack admired and set flirtatious glances the mare, hoping Rainbow Dash didn't notice these acts of fondness. Ah’ve loved her for quite some time… Should now be the right time to tell her? She pondered and stared a little tiredly back into the glowing, warm fire. Applejack was trying to answer this question in her mind and inside conscious, but put the thought to rest as Rainbow began speaking.

“So um… Thanks for taking me on this little camp-out AJ.” Quietly murmured Rainbow Dash, almost a surprisingly hushed whisper. “It means a lot, really.” The pegasus looked up from the fire, letting her soft eyes stare and drift into those of her friend. They sat and stared at each other in silence, drowning out the noise, anything else around them; as if in their own worlds. After many hushed moments, Rainbow Dash gave a small, sheepish grin, which made Applejack slightly blush. She hoped that it was dark enough outside for her cheeks to be unnoticed.

As much as she didn't want to look away, AJ quickly shook her head; hoping to remember the purpose why they were camping in

the first place, and pulling out of her almost fantasy like world. “H-hey, a’hm glad y’all could come.” She said, and stared down at her legs as they hung from the large log she sat on. As she opened her mouth to speak again, surprisingly, a stifling and quite loud yawn escaped her lips.

Rainbow Dash put a hoof up to her mouth as she softly giggled. “I guess we should maybe ‘hit the hay’, as you would say, soon?” Asked the pegasus, flapping her blue wings once to lift herself onto all fours.

“Wait!” exclaimed Applejack quite loudly. “Erm… Ah mean wait.” The cowpony rose in her spot, trying not to make eye contact with the beautiful mare in front of her. “Before we get some shuteye, ah wanted to just share a little song with yer. Whenever mah family goes campin’, we play ah little somethin’ on a guitar or banjo.” As she spoke, the orange mare trotted to one of the bags they brought with them. Seconds later, she pulled out a six stringed guitar, more modern looking, partially surprising Rainbow Dash.

The pegasus chuckled, and sat back down on the flattened grass. “I didnt know that you played an instrument,” Rainbow said as Applejack strode toward her with a part of the guitar carefully placed in her mouth.

When AJ got padded right next to her friend, she too sat on the ground, and got into a comfortable playing position. “It was hard at first to learn when ah was a little filly, but after some time I got the hang of it,” Smiled the orange mare as she played a chord, running her hoof across the strings. It vibrated through the air for a few moments, leaving the two in silence once again. Applejack turned and looked deep into Rainbow Dash's eyes, knowing her cheeks were probably growing warm at the sight of being so close to her.