Ch. 15.1 The Golden Repair

Start from the beginning

Caleb followed his instructions, his small features set in concentration.

"Now here is the micah powder mixed with gold dust." Gabe sprinkled some in the epoxy. "Now mix it in. Quickly please."

Caleb industriously stirred the glop turning gold.

"Now, spread only one side of the pottery with the mixture and be generous. We want the gold paste to squeeze out when you fit the pieces together."

Shard in hand, Caleb smeared the broken edge with the golden epoxy. Gabe gestured to the vase and Caleb carefully fit the piece in.

Gabe placed his twisted fingers over Caleb's and gently pressed until gold seeped out from the broken edges.

"There. Now hold it for several minutes until the epoxy sets. You have now fixed what another has broken and made it more beautiful and stronger. We will give it to your mother when she returns."

Caleb's smile lit up his entire face and Alex couldn't stop the tears streaming down her face. Gabe went over to her and hugged her.

"You are my golden repair," Gabe told her and her tears turned to outright sobs.

"No, no, that's not true. You don't know me. Not really."

"You're broken but you can still be my golden repair."

She shook her head.

"We'll speak of it later. May I be your golden repair? I know there's not much of me, but—"

She cut off his words by kissing him.

Cale took Caleb by the hand. "Let's leave them in peace to weave themselves to each other."

*****

The next day after dinner, Alex headed out to the workshop ahead of Gabe, eager to play with the golden repair process, her arms full of fresh supplies. He trailed behind, delayed by Caleb and Rafe's questions.

A portal opened in front of Alex, the rim a shimmering blue and white light.

A ringing glass voice spoke. "Enter. You have healed sufficiently and your teammates are asking for you. Your leader is downright truculent and I will discipline him later."

Alex dropped the supplies, which scattered over the lawn. She stepped back warily, as if from a poisonous viper.

Then she turned and ran flat out toward the lake. Gabe watched, mouth and eyes wide in shock. He looked back and forth between the portal and Alex, obviously torn.

"What has happened here?" the voice asked in a tone of shattering glass and the portal snapped shut, angry sparks landing on Gabe and burning his hide.

He slapped the tiny flames out before running after Alex; his long legs well muscled from years of trying to outrun the misery of his hands.

He caught up with her easily but held back when he saw her head for the cabin. Once she dashed inside, he followed her inside.

Alex sat on the bed, knees to chest, head down on knees. He sat next to her, shoulders touching.

"I don't want to leave."

"Perhaps you don't have to," Gabe said. "We'll ask Cale. Later." He slipped his arm around her and rested his chin on her knees, trying to gaze into her face.

"You're smart and wise and experienced. I could be the muscle and you could be the brains of a Guardian team," Alex said. "Would Cale join us? Rile and Alex need to raise their children."

"We'll ask him that as well. Later." He kissed her ear. "The portal is gone now. We should rest here."

***