Chapter Eight

I rushed out to stop Francis, but he had already been stopped by his mother. Catherine stood there surrounded by some of her guards and her hand on Francis chest.

"Mother let me go. I need to deal with this my own way." Francis gritted out.

Catherine shook her head. "Francis you need to calm down. Please go back inside your room."

Francis stood there for a few moments before sighing and coming back to our room. Catherine also came inside and closed the doors before turning to us.

"I already know what your father did, one of the guards came to tell me. Mary, first let me apologise for my husband's behaviour. He crossed the line."

"Yes, he crossed a line mother and he needs to get off the throne. He is sick mother. He needs help." Francis paced up and down our room.

"Francis, I know you want to stick up for your wife but taking your father off the throne like this, is not the right way. People will talk, and we could have an even bigger problem on our hands." Catherine sighed.

"What do you think we should do then? I cannot let him get away with this." Francis was not happy.

"Your father will not give up his throne but what we need to do is try to convince him that getting off his throne is the best thing for him." Catherine suggested.

"Father won't easily agree to that and you know it. I know this sounds absurd to you Catherine and I mean no disrespect to you but maybe my mother can help." Bash spoke for the first time.

"Diane? How can she help us?" Catherine asked,

"Well, I can ask her to take the king away and while the king is away we can sort out the mess he has caused and maybe convince some of the members that it is time father leaves the throne." Bash suggested.

"It is a good idea mother. Father will listen to Diane." Francis agreed.

"Yes, but what makes you think Diane will even do this for us?" Catherine asked.

"She will do it because I asked, and I am her son. My mother will help us." Bash said.

"Okay, if you are sure that she will help us then I think it is a good plan." Catherine agreed too.

"Mary, I am so sorry for what my father put you through. He isn't in his right frame of mind." Francis grabbed my hands.

"Francis, Mary, what I am about to suggest might be absurd, but it might be the only way to protect Mary." Catherine looked at us both with worry.

"What is it?" I asked.

"I think that Mary you need to pretend to be pregnant. Henry cannot and will not touch you if you are pregnant." Catherine said.

My heart started racing fast. I couldn't do that again. I already pretended once before and the guilt was eating my alive.

"No, I cannot do that. It doesn't feel right." I said shaking my head.

"Mary, mother is right though. My father won't be able to touch you if you are pregnant." Francis tried to convince me.

I shook my head, "Please. It has been a long and tiring day already. Let me at least think about it."

"Mary, whatever happens we are here for you, but you now need rest." Kenna came over and hugged me.

"Yes Mary. You need to rest." Greer agreed.

Lola gave me a small smile before leaving with Greer. Catherine apologised once more before leaving as well. Bash and Kenna talked to us for a little while longer before they too left.

Francis and I were sitting by the fire place, he was playing with my hair as we both sat deep in thought.

"Mary. I know that you are scared to pretend to be pregnant and you must feel guilty after we lost our baby but please this is the only way I can insure your safety." Francis broke our silence.

"Francis. I can't do it." I shook my head, refusing to let the tears fall.

"Mary, please." Francis pleaded with me.

"Francis, not tonight. Please just love me. I need your love." I begged.

Francis nodded and pulled me closer to him. I was the one who kissed him first, I knew he was a bit hesitant.

It had been a while since we had been intimate or even had a proper kiss, so things got heated pretty quickly.

Francis broke the kiss first and asked, "Mary are sure about this? I won't be able to stop if we start."

I smiled and said, "I need this, and I need you. Don't stop."

That was all he needed, Francis smashed his lips against mine while picking me up off our sofa. He carefully laid me on the bed and made me forget about all our worries....

**

I was woken up by Francis playing with my hair. For some reason, that was one of his favourite things to do. I turned to face my smiling husband.

"What if I actually got you pregnant?" Francis wondered aloud.

"Francis." I playfully slapped him.

He laughed and kissed me again. Francis began to talk about all this drama that was going on. He felt responsible and felt like he could do more.

"You have to remember Francis, there is only so much you can do. Your father is still the king. I know you are trying your best." I reminded him.

"If it wasn't for you Mary, I don't know how I would get through all of this." Francis kissed me on the forehead.

"But if it wasn't for me, then you wouldn't be in this mess. My father wanting you to put a stake for the crown of England and him wanting to marry you." Francis' smile went and was replaced with a look of anger.

"Hey. Every couple goes through situations that are tough but there is no one else that I'd rather do this with Francis. You are my best friend as well as my husband." I kissed his cheek.

"Oh Mary. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me." Francis said.

For the first time in a very long time I felt at peace. Even though there was a lot of drama going on in the palace, right here in this very moment I felt so good.

However, all good things have to end and that was going to happen sooner than I hoped...