Torrin-Part 1

Chapter 1

Thump, Thump, Thump.

The sound echoed in My ears as the brought my hammer down in a steady rhythm. Sandy hair stuck to my forehead, a sheen of sweat forming on my body from the steady work. Looking up from hammering I saw my father heating the steel that would soon be shaped into teeth for traps. His father, Jeod, was a man known in the village for his hard work. Like his father and his as far back as Torrin could recall, their family made traps for the hunters, and were known as the best in Lania. The work was demanding and with little money but the two men had little choice but to get up before the sun each day and labour in their workshop.

Torrins thoughts drifted to his mother, pale and weak in her bunk where her last few months have been spent. She was sick with an illness not even the local fairies could cure and getting her to Lanias capitol to get healed would cost thousands. Thousands they didn't have.

Giving my muscles a break I absentmindedly gazed around the workshop. It was a small square, single room with wooden walls so old they had turned pale grey. Tools and traps in various stages of completion hung around the room on pegs and notches, others lay scattered about. There was a small fire pit in the corner where father currently worked, the fire crackling hungrily as he fed it wood and metal. The outside wasn't much better, Torrin thought. With its peeling olive green paint and the 'Dufalan Traps' sign falling apart, it was a wonder they were still getting business. I often dreamed of leaving and seeing the world. I imagined myself galloping across the rugged landscape and being a hunter myself, maybe even a knight. No, I thought, don't fool yourself and get back to work.

Glancing back at father I thought of how fidgety and full of worry he seemed lately. For the past week he had been spending nights in the workshop making traps well past closing time. Just as I was trying to think of why father would be pushing himself like this the door crashed open.

A tall burly man stormed into the workshop looking furious. He wore a raggity cloth shirt and pants held up with a thick leather belt that was home to many sharp objects. A bow was slung over his shoulder and a quiver of arrows rested along his back. His shoes were soft leather that were excellent to keep silent while hunting. His overall look was unkempt but his presence was meanacing. Tuffs of wiry chocolate brown hair stuck up on his head and was knotted into a rough braid that hung from his chin. His beady eyes took in the room from under bushy eyebrows, finally landing on the small, but growing, pile of traps. His name was Acacius and he was the most feared and famous hunter in all of Lania. No one knew of his parents or where he came from but he was a natural born hunter.

"DUFALAN," bellowed Acacius "Why are my traps not finished?!"

"A-a-acacius, I told you t-they would never get fi-fi-inished until the weeks e-end, if that." Jeod stuttered.

"Well then my friend other arrangement with have to be made" Acacius growled, all the while looking at Torrin.

Giving Jeod a last intimidating glare Acacius left, slamming the door as he went. I let out a breath I did not realize he was holding, my stomach writhing with worry and fear at the strange look Acacius had given me. For it could not mean anything good. Sighing I grabbed my hammer and was about to continue working when I heard a heart wrenching sob. I froze, it was the first time I had ever seen father break down. Ever. Not knowing what to do , slowly approaching father, I noticed how old he looked. It seemed he aged overnight, with wrinkles becoming deeper and more numerous, previous flecks of grey turned to streaks and patches. Although he was a well build man he now looked frail and I was afraid to touch him, fearing he may break. Don't be silly, I thought, he wont break. Finally reaching father and squatting down to his level, I placed a hand upon fathers.

"Father" I murmured "what is the matter?"

Still looking to the ground, father took a shaky breath and then looked at me with sad eyes.

"Acacius" he whispered "is going to plea the law of payment to the government for his traps not being made on time and his trip being postponed. He is an evil man, using shows of power like this to intimidate others"

Inhailing a sharp breath I sat next to father. No, I though. he wouldn't, not to us, not now with mother sick and the business failing. I felt numb and my brain was fuzzy. "Father, you do not think they would agree to his plea do you?"

"Yes son, I do. He is a feared and powerful man that will not be denied."

I mulled over what my father said and knew it was true. The law of payment floating through my head, it stated: If fees are not paid or an agreement is not met, and the law of payment must be enforced the government will take your most prized possession. If you had children, they were what was taken more times than not. The legal age of adulthood was 19, being only 16 I was fair game.

My body shook with fear as I thought of all I would lose.