5 | rake over the ashes

𝐔𝐍𝐍𝐀𝐌𝐄𝐃 𝐉𝐄𝐓, 𝐔𝐍𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖𝐍 𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒𝐏𝐀𝐂𝐄

ELEANOR

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

'Morning, my love.'

My weak eyes peeled apart with effort, the bright light from above making my eyes shrink with the force of it. My neck throbbed with pain, the metallic taste in my mouth making my tongue feel heavy. I brought my focus to the woozy figure in front of me, Zeke's teeth gleaming with the satisfaction of the prize he had won and eyes swimming with pleasure. I brought my gaze down to his hands which I vaguely remember being clad in gloves but now not in sight but left with shredded, irritated, peeling skin. Like the blast had affected him adversely, too.

'Where—'

I tried to scan my surroundings weakly for any chance of escape, my vision not able to make out anything in the total darkness beyond the small light above propelling slowly and I realized a small buzzing in the ground. As if we were in a moving vehicle.

'What did you do to me?' I hoarsely murmured, my throat still hurting from the last time I was awake. I knew the bruises would've sprouted but it was not as bad as compared to my body, feeling beaten up and tossed around like a ragdoll. My hands were zip-tied to a chair and judging by the same scratchy feeling around my ankles, my legs were in the same state. He knew I'd fight my way up, so he didn't take his chances.

He smirked, getting down on the balls of his feet to face me entirely. Zeke hadn't change one bit from the last time I'd left him stranded. He still had the looks of a Greek god but his heart anything but. He was a genius in the making but used his knowledge for purposes I couldn't bear to think about. 

'Barbiturates,' he shrugged. 'Just a tiiiiny dose because I didn't want you hurt too much. I still wanted a look at those maddening eyes of yours.'

I scoffed with what was left of my voice. 'Worked splendidly, I suppose.'

'I missed that feisty mouth,' he chuckled, grabbing my chin between his coarse index and thumb finger to bring my disconnected gaze back to his. I winced with discomfort when he touched the wound near my neck, swallowing tightly. My mouth bubbled with curse words, wanting to fling everyone of them his way. I didn't realize a sneer had stretched across my face, bringing him amusement. 

'You never did well with anger, Lena,' he murmured, snapping his teeth at me. 'But, I adored it. That much flame in such a beautiful woman, tch,' he clucked his tongue. 'Stark got it easy.'

'Fuck a cactus, Zeke,' I profaned, unable to constrain myself. My hands were fisted with anger, not ready to let him talk ill about me in any way. The way he uttered my name was like a sin, only making me burn more. 'You think kidnapping me is going to fetch you anything?'