Chapter 12

The next morning Emma was awoken from her pleasant sleep by Chuck, who was already up and standing in front of the doors which had begun to open.

"Guys, get up!"

Groaning a little, Emma and Newt reluctantly untangled themselves and helped each other to their feet, going over by Chuck.

But when the doors opened, they revealed.....just an empty hallway.

A pang of deep sadness went through her.

"I told you Chuck," said Newt softly,  sadness in his voice. "They're not coming back."

Most of them began to walk away, leaving Chuck standing at the doors by himself, Emma tossing a sorrowful look back at the entrance.

Zart had lingered behind for a second. Freezing, his eyes widened.
"No way!"

Chuck's face morphed into one of triumphant happiness.

"Yeah! Yes!" He did a little fist pump.

Newt and Emma looked at each other, a mixture like relief, amazement, and joy on both of their faces.

Minho and Thomas, looking a little battered, each supported an arm of the unconscious Alby between them as they walked towards the entrance to the glade.

Everyone started cheering as they got closer, some helping the two boys lay Alby's body carefully on the ground. Winston had his arm under Thomas's left as the greenie stumbled back, strength lacking.

"I got him, I got him, I got him."

"Watch out. Careful."

"Nice and easy," Emma said, checking the pulse on Alby's wrist.
There's a good chance he's been stung, Emma realized, but put that worry aside for now as she, Jeff, and Clint checked him and the other two.
"What happened out there?" She heard Frypan ask.

"How did you guys make it out?" Winston questioned, curiosity in his voice.

Chuck looked at Thomas. "You saw a griever?"

He nodded, seeming almost completely exhausted.
Well no wonder, with the night he had, Emma thought, pursing her lips.

"Yeah, I saw one," Thomas spoke, voice hoarse.

Minho looked up at them. "He didn't just see one. He killed it."

Instantly there arose a tumultuous clamor, Thomas and Minho bombarded with a storm of questions from the others.

"Alright, alright! Slim it!" Newt ordered after a few seconds, instantly the noise level lowering significantly.
"The med-jacks will check them over, then we'll have a gathering," he spoke with finality.

A few of the boys helped bring Alby's body to the Medhut, Emma directing them to set him down on a cot in the first room.
Dismissing most of the boys with a nod, they left, until only the three med-jacks, Thomas, Newt, and Minho remained.

Delicately stripping Alby's shirt, Emma heard a few sharp intakes of breath from behind her.
Her suspicions had been correct.

He had been stung, the ugly tale-tell purple veins begining to spread across his stomach.
But there wasn't time to dwell on that now. She hadn't been able to help Ben, but she was going to help Alby.

Emma, Clint, and Jeff quickly got to work cleaning and patching up Alby's injuries, working in almost total silence for several minutes before finishing.

Once they were done with Alby, Emma turned, starting to work on Minho while Clint assessed and looked after Thomas's injuries, Jeff putting away the gauze and bandages.