Penny's Little Family

I was driving in my car, a 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air. Yeah, us Addams' drive old cars. Father drives a car from the 1930s!

I pulled into Penny's house which was only an hour from the college.

"Why don't you come in and meet my grandma and daughter?"

"Sure," I said.

As soon as we walked in the house, her daughter ran to her.

"Mommy!"

Penny picked her up and hugged.

"Bernie, ugh, I missed you!"

They let go.

"This is my friend Gabriella."

"Hi Bernie," I shook her little hand.

"Her name's Bernadette, Bernie for short."

"She's so cute! How old are you?"

She held out four fingers.

"Four? Wow, you're getting to be a big girl!"

Bernie giggled. An old woman walked to us.

"Penny, your home."

"Hi Grandma!"

They hugged.

"This is my college friend Gabriella Addams."

I shook her hand.

"Nice to meet you Gabriella!"

"Nice to meet you too."

We sat in the living room for a while.

"So, you go to college with Penny. What are you studying?"

"Education."

"What are you gonna teach?"

"I don't know, I always liked science classes. Science related smarts run in my family, I have a little brother who loves engineering and building stuff. I come from a wealthy family."

"They paid for your college?"

"Yes ma'am, my father is very rich, I don't act like a rich girl I guarantee you. I would rather buy books and music than clothes and makeup."

Penny's grandma chuckled.

"I remember when I was in high school, I used to be friends with these girls who went shopping all the time, pretty much did everything together!"

I smiled.

"I never really had friends until I met Penny, she was the first person to say hi to me when I first moved into my dorm, we're dorm buddies."

"I stayed the night with my friend Georgia last week, it was fun!" Bernie said.

I chuckled.

"What did you girls do?"

"We played outside, hide and go seek, and watch cartoons before we went to sleep."

"Well, I bet that was fun! You know what I did as a kid?"

"What?"

"Read a lot of Edgar Allan Poe stories."

"Who's he?"

"He's a writer, he mostly writes scary stories, I've always been into that stuff."

"Sorry, never heard of him."

"It's ok Bernie, when you go to school, you'll learn about him. Well, I guess I'm to see my family."

I got up and walked away but Penny stopped me.

"Gabs wait, we known each other for three years, I never met your family, you met mine, now I'll meet yours."

"You'll think their weird-"

"Nah, all families are unique in their own way. Since we're out of college for the summer, all of us will go see your family for a bit."

I sighed.

"If that's ok with your grandma."

Her grandma spoke up.

"Well, I've been retired for a long time now, well...I guess we can go."

"Thanks Grandma!" Penny said as she gave her a hug.

I waited patiently for them to pack. It's gonna be a heck of a ride.