Prologue: Mr. New Guy

Kimi was walking out of the coffee shop when she bumped into someone. Hard. She slipped in the ice and spilled her cappuccino into the frost of a snow, falling on her ass. She hated how early everything was frosting over, it just made it easier for a klutz like her to be clumsy.

        "I'm so sorry," came the velvety smooth voice of the man who had knocked her over.

        She took his extended hand, and he helped her up.

        She couldn't help taking in the appearance of the fine dark chocolate man. He had low cut, salt and pepper hair with waves; a little goatee with a mustache going on; intense brown eyes; full brown lips; and a face chiseled from perfection. He was a tall man, maybe six-feet two or three inches. He had on an expensive looking pea coat, nice dress shoes, and a pair of suit pants.

        "Are you okay?" he asked, his features contorted in concern.

        "I'm fine," she told him, noticing that he hadn't released her hand. She didn't mind it, either. She had probably liked it more than she should have.

        She hadn't noticed, he was so subtle. But he looked the young woman over in appreciation. He noticed she didn't wear makeup on her face and she had her own hair in her head. Her light brown complexion, with her full pink lips. She wore a pair of glasses on her face that only added to the appeal.

        "Why don't you let me buy you another coffee," he suggested.

        "Oh no, it's really okay."

        She was much too intrigued by this man. She wasn't in a hurry to get anywhere but away from him. He smelled so good. She had her priorities. He didn't happen to be one of them.

        She usually just came into the shop, got her coffee, and left without a word to anyone but the barista.

        "Are you in a rush?"

        "Well... No," she answered honestly, perplexed. Why did he care?

        "Then I insist."                                                                                                                                

        He led her inside and to the counter, paying for her to have another coffee, buying himself an Italian roast before asking her to sit with him.

        "Oh, I'm so rude. I haven't introduced myself; I'm Harvey." He extended his hand and she shook it.

        "Kimi."

        His smile sent little butterflies floating in her tummy. Oh, girl. Get real. He's like forty and you barely outta high school! He don't want you. He’s just bein' nice. Kimi noticed the wedding band on his finger, and her mind continued, See, married. Probably got kids your age.

        "Kimi, please keep me company."

        "Won't your wife mind?" she asked, biting her lip. She didn't think this was more than anything innocent, but he was so good-looking that he sent her into a whirlwind spiral that she hadn't felt in such a long time. 

        Harvey chuckled, pulling out a seat for her. "She won't mind."

     Kimi took the seat and just watched Harvey sit down, his movements so coordinated. She blew into her coffee cup, her eyes on him. He was graceful, and she... Well... She was an awkward teenager.