Doubt

A/N: From this chapter on, the narrative is out of Clive's point of view. This is a bit monologue-y, and a bit sad, I am sorry. J x

---------------------------------------

"Mr. Dove. You have a visitor."

I looked up in the hope of seeing my fiancé. But instead of her, it was someone I had childishly toyed with lately, who had been involved in this whole disaster... Professor Layton.

"Professor!"

"Clive."

I looked down at the floor. 

There could never be any words to apologise for what I had done. Several hundreds of people had been badly injured. No deaths had been verified yet and I hoped that it would stay that way.
But for now, there was only one person I could think about.

"Professor. I have no right to ask this of you but there is something I need the police to investigate. There is someone in my life, my fiancé, and she might have been in London that night-" before I could finish my sentence, the Professor gave me a piece of paper while he lowered his head, hiding his eyes with the brim of his top hat.

What's the meaning of this-? Please, don't tell me that she-

Report of the 27.12.1963, London

(...) Responsible for the entire massacre was Clive Dove.
Near Baldwin where the first bomb hit, a little fire started to burn the remains of that area. Fortunately, that area was so deserted all apartments were empty. Though for some reason, two people had gone there.
Under the ruins, the remains of two human beings were found which could be identified at a later point.

No. This would have to be a lie. A nightmare. It can't be her.

I turned around the page.

As the remains were able to be identified as those of Miss Y/N and her mother, 

doctor Stapleton, who had been the doctor of stated victim, had been inquired. At the time of the bomb's impact and death, three lives had been taken as the victim had reportedly been pregnant during that time. Furthermore, it has been revealed that...

I threw the report away. This could not be right, it would have to be a lie!

"Professor! This can't be true, PLEASE tell me this isn't true!" 

I stood up, resting my hands on the Professor's shoulders, trying to make him show any sign of emotion or sign that what he had just shown me was a horrible joke.

But I got it! This must be from Bill... this was the only explanation... with his power, he was able to control the press, after all! That is how he had been able to hide the first time machine back then, even though he hadn't been the prime minister already! It would have to be him, that was the only explanation! Bill had always wanted to break me, no, he DID break me, it was his fault that I was in prison, but also mine, I had just given in to his test...

She cannot be dead. She can't. My life won't be able to go on without her. She is my everything. 

But something about the report gave me a really bad feeling of it actually possibly being real. The pregnancy. 

I had noticed something was wrong with her during the last months, it was simply a detail in the report, but a very plausible one, it would explain far too much...

That tiny little detail which could destroy my own life even more, if it would prove that information to be correct. But she couldn't be dead. She just couldn't be.

She was the only person I had ever loved in that way. She had been the sunshine in my life, and I had felt so guilty about my project, that I had to hide it from her due to obvious reasons... she must have felt as if I had loved her less. I would never be able to make it up to her.

What about her words to me before I left to Underground London at last? What did she want to tell me? If it really had something to do with a pregnancy, then that deadly little detail would ensure my end.

"Professor, this has to be false information. I do not want to believe it! I DO not believe it!"

The Professor glared to me with a sad look in his eyes.

"Clive... you need to accept it..."

"THIS IS A LIE! I want you to take me to the place that is described in the report! I will not believe anything until it has proven to be correct!"