three - i get a little jealous

Start from the beginning

"Don't be daft. They were all sitting in the same compartment. That's how I know. Although, there were a few people missing. Elizabeth, Jane, Emily C, Emily T, and Bertha," says Dorcas ticking off each name on her fingers.

"Couldn't have been any of them. I was with them," says Em with furrowed eyebrows.

I think I'm about to be busted.

"Well, wasn't me. I was with Black and crew. By the way, have you all noticed his glow-up? Wow!" exclaimed Marlene, pretending to wipe off sweat.

Em stole a sideways glance from me, a smile tugging slightly at the corner of her lips. This was the Marlene that I currently hated. It's obvious she fancies him.

"Marls, let's be honest here. Black didn't get a glow-up in two months. Besides, we've seen them throughout the summer. He and the Marauders look the exact same," scoffs Lily.

The what now?

"The what now?" inquires Em, raising an eyebrow.

Lily rolls her eyes. "They came up with that stupid name, Marauders, to call their group. I'd bet good money that it was Potter's idea. And Marls, you know that one with the glow-up you mentioned, Black? And his best mate that? That arse?" Lily laughs sarcastically.

Uh oh. She's mad.

"They stormed into my compartment, giggling like mad pigs, and threw a bottle of shampoo at Severus."

Oh. That's not so bad.

Apparently, Marlene thinks so too, because she lets out a little snort behind her hand, which covers her mouth. However, Lily's face is getting redder by the second. Double uh oh. She's not done yet.

"AND IT BURST OPEN WITH OIL AND GREASE," Lily screams.

Ah. That's why.

"AND WHEN I TRIED TO USE SCOURGIFY, THE COMPARTMENT JUST GOT FILLED WITH BUBBLES."

She's not done yet, huh. Never seen her this angry.

"SO IF JAMES POTTER THINKS HE'S SO COOL, WHY DOESN'T HE JUST NOT ATTEND SCHOOL ALTOGETHER? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!"

At this point, Lily's just screaming for anybody to hear, pacing around the room like a very very very scary, crazed leopard, and Em is so absolutely terrified she doesn't try to defend her boyfriend.

The rest of us exchange confounded looks. This can't possibly get Lily so mad. James has done worse things just to get her attention and look cool.

Dorcas, being the... least aggressive, says tentatively, "Lily, how's it going at home? With Petunia?"

Lily stops shouting and turns to Dorcas slowly. For a second, I think Dorcas is about to die, but suddenly, Lily's lip starts quivering and in no time, she's crying her eyes out.

"Tuney h-hates me. She won't even t-t-talk to me, and-and she threw away m-my birthday present for-for-for her," Lily sobbed, burying her face into her pillow. That's what it was. No wonder Lily's been so quiet throughout the summer.

We listen to Lily talk about Petunia for a while, shocked with what she had to tell us. To me, it seemed as if Petunia was jealous. I mean, if I was a Squib but Benjy was still a wizard, I would be too. But I wouldn't hate Benjy for it. He's been there for me for a long, long time when mum couldn't. I wish I could whack some sense into Petunia.

"And I know you all don't like Sev. Think that he's creepy. And everybody talks about it, and I know that, okay?"

We pass guilty glances to one another.